    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 2, 2007

  2. Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Am I (or is my software) missing something here? What's making
    > these huge gaps in the code? (Look at your vert scrollbar.)
    >
    > http://www.berniewilliams.net/

    Bernie needs a new webmaster/author. Seems to be about 250 nested
    spans.

    How'd you run across this one?

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 2, 2007

  3. Blinky the Shark

    Bergamot Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Am I (or is my software) missing something here? What's making
    > these huge gaps in the code? (Look at your vert scrollbar.)
    >
    > http://www.berniewilliams.net/

    Look at it in a hex viewer. There are oodles of newlines in there,
    sometimes with spaces between. It might be a lame attempt at the author
    to discourage examining the source. Some people wouldn't notice the
    scrollbars, just the mostly blank page.

    > http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/spans.jpg

    Bernie seems a bit out of control. :)

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Oct 3, 2007
  4. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> Am I (or is my software) missing something here? What's making these
    >> huge gaps in the code? (Look at your vert scrollbar.)
    >>
    >> http://www.berniewilliams.net/

    > Bernie needs a new webmaster/author. Seems to be about 250 nested
    > spans.

    Like I said, there were a LOT more than I showed in that screen cap.
    Not counting the menu, the word count for that page is only 580.

    > How'd you run across this one?

    It was a Google Groper I saw quoted in
    news.mozilla.org:mozilla.support.firefox

    <>

    GG carries that group and archives it, but the post doesn't seem to be
    there, yet.

    <q>

    pounded out the following on his or her keyboard on
    10/2/2007 12:20 PM:
    > > I am new to developing websites. I am using freeservers to host my
    > > site. It shows fine in IE but the formatting does not seem to
    > > translate when viewing in Firefox. The text changes and the
    > > pictures do not align properly. Can anyone shed any light on what
    > > the problem is?
    > >
    > > The website is http://www.berniewilliams.net.
    > >
    > > Thank you.

    </q>

    It's not uncommon for borked-website posts to appear in that group, even
    from real Usenetters. That one shows 86 validation errors; granted,
    that's a lot fewer than those spans. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 3, 2007
  5. Bergamot wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Am I (or is my software) missing something here? What's making these
    >> huge gaps in the code? (Look at your vert scrollbar.)
    >>
    >> http://www.berniewilliams.net/

    > Look at it in a hex viewer. There are oodles of newlines in there,
    > sometimes with spaces between. It might be a lame attempt at the
    > author to discourage examining the source. Some people wouldn't notice
    > the scrollbars, just the mostly blank page.
    >
    >> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/spans.jpg

    > Bernie seems a bit out of control. :)

    Beau roughly counted them at about 250. :)

    Okay, I hafta do this.

    <counts string "span" on that index page with editor>

    I did a global substitution just to get a count, and got

    1752 substitutions on 36 lines

    At two tags per span, that's 879 span elements. On some very long
    lines. That's assuming they're all closed and therefore taking two tags
    per element.

    Funny (I think) that there's no creator ID in the head for
    CrazyMakerPro, or whatever.

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 3, 2007
  6. Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > <counts string "span" on that index page with editor>
    >
    > I did a global substitution just to get a count, and got
    >
    > 1752 substitutions on 36 lines
    >
    > At two tags per span, that's 879 span elements. On some very long
    > lines. That's assuming they're all closed and therefore taking two
    > tags per element.

    That's more trouble than I took. <g> I look at the top group of
    and came up with the 250 there.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 3, 2007
  7. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> <counts string "span" on that index page with editor>
    >>
    >> I did a global substitution just to get a count, and got
    >>
    >> 1752 substitutions on 36 lines
    >>
    >> At two tags per span, that's 879 span elements. On some very long
    >> lines. That's assuming they're all closed and therefore taking two
    >> tags per element.

    > That's more trouble than I took. <g> I look at the top group of
    > and came up with the 250 there.

    I figured that that page was a certifiable prize winner, or I wouldn't
    have taken the time myself. :)

    Anyway, it didn't take long to slap the source in to vim and enter

    %s/span/wookie/g

    :) And "wookie"? I figured if for any reason I wanted to
    re-substutute, "wookie" wouldn't be a likely string to be in the
    original source. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 3, 2007
  8. While the city slept, Beauregard T. Shagnasty ()
    feverishly typed...

    [...]

    There's a whole new version of an old, popular song here! :-D

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss http://www.nigenet.org.uk
    Mail address will bounce. | Take the DOG. out!

    nice.guy.nige, Oct 3, 2007
  9. nice.guy.nige wrote:

    > While the city slept, Beauregard T. Shagnasty
    > () feverishly typed...
    > [...]

    > There's a whole new version of an old, popular song here! :-D

    Oh, exactly! I _was_ thinking just that while I was composing the post!

    --
    -bts
    -needs eggs

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 3, 2007