    Is there any information on when garbage collection will generally
    occur in an applet or application?
    , Apr 28, 2009

  2. Eric Sosman Guest

    wrote:
    > Is there any information on when garbage collection will generally
    > occur in an applet or application?

    "When it needs to," pretty much. Or maybe "When it
    wants to" would be more accurate. Why do you care? (There
    may be legitimate reasons for caring, but what are yours?)

    --
    Eric Sosman
    lid
    Eric Sosman, Apr 28, 2009

  3. Lew Guest

    wrote:
    >> Is there any information on when garbage collection will generally
    >> occur in an applet or application?

    java.sun.com is an excellent source for such things:

    <http://java.sun.com/j2se/reference/whitepapers/
    memorymanagement_whitepaper.pdf>

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Apr 28, 2009
  4. Tom Anderson Guest

    On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, wrote:

    > Is there any information on when garbage collection will generally occur
    > in an applet or application?

    Often enough. Mostly.

    tom

    --
    Swords not words!
    Tom Anderson, Apr 28, 2009
  5. Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 12:30:49 -0700 (PDT), ""

    for background see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/garbagecollection.html
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com

    "Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind."
    ~ Albert Einstein
    Roedy Green, Apr 29, 2009
  6. Roedy Green Guest

    On 29 Apr 2009 12:53:39 GMT, Thomas Pornin <> wrote,

    >The recent JVM from Sun come with a host of debugging tools, including
    >"JConsole", a graphical tool which allows you to monitor the activity of
    >a JVM instance,

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jconsole.html
    for links.

    I have updated the entry. I will be uploading within the hour.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com

    "Species evolve exactly as if they were adapting as best they could to a changing world, and not at all as if they were moving toward a set goal."
    ~ George Gaylord Simpson
    Roedy Green, May 1, 2009