    he runs it.

    Is there something that can be recommended to help with garbage
    collection?
    Tom Allison, Feb 7, 2006

  2. Tom Allison wrote:
    > I haven't a copy of the code yet but a friend of mine was bemoaning
    > his efforts to create an application in ruby (conversion from python)
    > and ran into a problem.
    >
    > He discards a LOT of objects during the final steps of his application
    > run. This part of the process ultimately results in a crash every
    > time he runs it.

    What exactly do you mean by "discard"? Does he simply stop referencing a
    big collection? Are there finalizers defined for objects?

    > Is there something that can be recommended to help with garbage
    > collection?

    Do not switch it off.

    Seriously, your description is a bit vague, so it's difficult to tell what
    the cause of his problem is (might not be GC at all).

    Kind regards

    robert
    Robert Klemme, Feb 7, 2006

  3. Tom Allison

    Tom Allison Guest

    On 2/7/2006, "Robert Klemme" <> wrote:

    >Tom Allison wrote:
    >> I haven't a copy of the code yet but a friend of mine was bemoaning
    >> his efforts to create an application in ruby (conversion from python)
    >> and ran into a problem.
    >>
    >> He discards a LOT of objects during the final steps of his application
    >> run. This part of the process ultimately results in a crash every
    >> time he runs it.

    >What exactly do you mean by "discard"? Does he simply stop referencing a
    >big collection? Are there finalizers defined for objects?

    I don't think he has anything like a defined finalizer.
    I'll have to get the code...
    Tom Allison, Feb 7, 2006