Garbage Collector Debugging

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Rob Tillie, Aug 15, 2003.

  1. Rob Tillie

    Rob Tillie Guest

    You can do this with a profiler:
    http://www.scitech.se/memprofiler/

    Greetz,
    -- Rob.

    Rob Tillie, Aug 15, 2003

  2. Rob Tillie

    Rob Tillie Guest

    The one from MS:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...us/cssample/html/vcsamperfmonsamplecsharp.asp

    Greetz,
    -- Rob.

    Rob Tillie, Aug 15, 2003

  3. WARNING!

    I just downloaded, installed, and ran this Memory Profiler and now my system
    is under a constant unknown 90% utlization. It is running extremely slow
    for no apparent reason (no tasks show the utiliztion under Task Manager
    other than "System"). Even after a reboot the system is running at 80% to
    90%!

    I can barely use my computer and I have a huge contract due this week! This
    is very frustrating... Any recommendations?

    -Noah Coad
    Microsoft MVP & MCP

    Noah Coad [MVP & MCP], Aug 15, 2003
  4. Rob Tillie

    Jack Meyhoff Guest

    I guess you make those MVP & MCP letters look good now huh.

    You dont deserve those if you do stupid things like that , havnt u heard of
    vmware :D and other tools to contain test apps :D

    Even more fool you for doing it on a production machine.

    Guess we can remove those little letters that obviously show alot when you
    do that.

    Jack Meyhoff, Aug 15, 2003
  5. I went to the page and it looks very good.

    I'll try it!!.

    Thanks,

    "Stu Smith" <> wrote in message
    > Just going to butt in here and say that the SciTech profiler is really

    very

    Franco Gustavo, Aug 15, 2003
  6. Your product does look like a good product, it was probobly a quirk. I
    tried e-mailing but didn't get a response back and was distrought there
    wasn't a way to contact the company directly via telephone support.

    My system is back fine after running the Memory Profiler again,

    It just took so long to do this because of the system load that I had to use
    another computer for e-mail and newsgroups. Memory Profiler looks so good
    (nice components) that I e-mailed asking what components you use for the
    multicolumn list box (I'd still like to know).

    -Noah

    P.S. For possible debugging purposes, here is the sequence of events:

    1. Loaded Memory Profiler
    2. "Used Profile Application" and selected a very simple .NET app that I've
    used for over a year
    3. Ran the Process
    4. Took a look at some values in M.P.
    5. Clicked the 'Stop' button which brought up a dialog asking me if I wanted
    to end the process.
    6. Manually closed the application running
    7. M.P. detected the program closed and asked if I wanted to save the
    profile infomation (in a dialog on top of the click to stop dialog). I
    clicked 'No'
    8. Then I clicked the 'Cancel' button on the dialog from step 5.
    9. System Load Goes to 90%
    10. Closed Memory Profiler

    It stopped the heavy system load after repeating steps 1 through 5, but this
    time allowing M.P. to close the application. The reason this took so long
    was that my system was going so slow at this point it took awhile to do
    this. The warning message was brisk, my first to ever post such a message,
    but it was a scare without barely being able to even use the computer to
    take M.P out or try to fix it and not being able to get in touch with the
    company.

    "Andreas Suurkuusk" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > It seems unlikely that our software could cause your system to have 90%
    > utilization. When installing, we do not add anything that will run on
    > startup, we just copy files to "C:\Program files\SciTech\NetMemProfiler",
    > register a
    > callback dll for profiling and add the icon.
    >
    > When profiling a standard process this callback dll is only activated when
    > starting the process (using environment variables). For a service or

    ASP.NET
    > profiling, it alters a set of registry variables to activate the callback
    > dll.These changes will be restored as soon as the process has been

    attached
    > to the profiler, or when it fails to attach. Additionaly, the profiler

    saves
    > all the changes it has done to the registry, so that they can be restored

    in
    > the event of the profiler crashing while attaching. If you have tried to
    > profile ASP.NET or a service, you can try to start the profiler again. In
    > case something was left in the registry it will try to restore it at
    > startup.
    >
    > Have your tried to uninstall the profiler? Does the high CPU utilization

    go
    > away if you do?
    >
    > Our profiler has been downloaded by thousands of developers during the

    past
    > year and none has reported anything similar to your problem. I think that

    we

    Noah Coad [MVP & MCP], Aug 15, 2003
  7. Rob Tillie

    Mark Pearce Guest

    Jack,

    You should never express yourself more clearly than you are able to think.

    Mark
    --
    Author of "Comprehensive VB .NET Debugging"

    Gustavo Franco, Aug 15, 2003
  9. Hi,

    I did a quick try to see if I could reproduce your problem, but I didn't
    succeed. I will try some more after the weekend.

    I understand that you needed a quick reply to your problems, but we received
    your first e-mail at 18.01 (CET), and the e-mail about your CPU utilization
    problem at 18.39. I responded by e-mail and to the newsgroup at 20.16, which
    I think is a pretty quick response, considering it to be after office hour
    at Friday night. Currently we have no possibility to offer phone support for
    our .NET Memory Profiler, but we always try respond to e-mail support
    requests within one business day, and we usually answer them faster.

    Andreas Suurkuusk, Aug 15, 2003
  10. The runtime has a number of performance counters. If you run "perfmon",
    you'll see them. Try ".NET CLR Memory" as the category, and choose something
    like "Bytes in all heaps". If you're use taskman to look at memory, it
    doesn't necessarily report how much memory you're really using.

    --
    Eric Gunnerson

    Visit the C# product team at http://www.csharp.net
    Eric's blog is at http://blogs.gotdotnet.com/ericgu/

    Eric Gunnerson [MS], Aug 16, 2003
  11. Rob Tillie

    Shri Borde Guest

    CLR Profiler can show you tons of information about the GC heap. It plugs
    into the profiling API hooks and can track the GC heap with a very fine
    granularity. It is available as a download on
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...y/en-us/dndotnet/html/highperfmanagedapps.asp

    Plus there's video showing Gregor demoing it:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdntv/episode.aspx?xml=episodes/en/20030729CLRGN/manifest.xml

    As a general background, Rico's and Jan's articles are helpful:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dndotnet/html/dotnetgcbasics.asp

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dndotnet/html/fastmanagedcode.asp

    Shri Borde, Aug 18, 2003
  12. Rob Tillie

    JerryK Guest

    Is this a windows app? If so, what sort of controls are you using? Are you
    using AddEvents?

    jerry

    JerryK, Aug 18, 2003