    Trying to do something unique for a client (not a lowest gas price
    finder, but something that gets a good idea as to what the average
    price is for the US.
    tiewknvc9, Jul 23, 2008

  2. tiewknvc9

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 22:53:17 -0700 (PDT), tiewknvc9
    said :

    >Does anyone know of a free gas prices database that is available
    >online???
    >
    >Trying to do something unique for a client (not a lowest gas price
    >finder, but something that gets a good idea as to what the average
    >price is for the US.

    You might do screenscraping of any online database that posts prices.

    Screenscraping refers to extracting information from web pages on the
    web. Unless the authors permit reuse, you are violating copyright by
    doing that. I got in trouble by screenscraping foreign exchange rates
    off the Oanda site. Even material that looks fair game for reuse, e.g.
    prices, is not necessarily so. It is a legal minefield. It seems that
    manually extracting information is considered less sinful that using a
    program to do it, but you can still get in trouble.

    Even if you screen-scrape for non-commercial purposes, even if you
    don’t repost the data, and even if you don’t put much load on their
    server, they can still get irate, block you and send lawyer letters. I
    think the main reason is they put up their site primarily to serve
    ads, (the data offered are just bait), and you obviously are not
    reading the ads if you are screenscraping

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/screenscraping.html
    --

    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary
    Roedy Green, Jul 23, 2008

  3. tiewknvc9

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 23:00:36 -0700, "Peter Duniho"
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    someone who said :

    >Not that your question really has anything to do with Java.

    I have a different attitude toward off-topicness. Java programming
    requires all kinds of peripheral information. The people most likely
    to have it are fellow Java programmers who have done similar apps
    before. Further, they will explain in Javaesque terms and will presume
    only ordinary Java knowledge.

    So when you post, you are asking a COMMUNITY of people. Further it is
    better to ask these people, with whom you have a reputation, and
    presumably for whom you have done favours in past, than do a one-shot
    question to some pig-in-the poke newsgroup you don't even know is
    active or occupied by competent people.

    My tolerance for off-topicness varies with the amount of traffic. When
    it gets high, my tolerance drops off. Right now traffic is relatively
    low, so I welcome interesting mild diversions.

    ON-TOPIC questions that have been answered hundreds of times before or
    are answered on many websites accessible via Google I think deserve
    more of a stink bomb.

    Roedy Green, Jul 23, 2008
  4. "Roedy Green" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 22:53:17 -0700 (PDT), tiewknvc9
    > said :
    >
    >>Does anyone know of a free gas prices database that is available
    >>online???
    >>
    >>Trying to do something unique for a client (not a lowest gas price
    >>finder, but something that gets a good idea as to what the average
    >>price is for the US.

    > You might do screenscraping of any online database that posts prices.
    >
    > Screenscraping refers to extracting information from web pages on the
    > web. Unless the authors permit reuse, you are violating copyright by
    > doing that. I got in trouble by screenscraping foreign exchange rates
    > off the Oanda site. Even material that looks fair game for reuse, e.g.
    > prices, is not necessarily so. It is a legal minefield. It seems that
    > manually extracting information is considered less sinful that using a
    > program to do it, but you can still get in trouble.
    >
    > Even if you screen-scrape for non-commercial purposes, even if you
    > don't repost the data, and even if you don't put much load on their
    > server, they can still get irate, block you and send lawyer letters. I
    > think the main reason is they put up their site primarily to serve
    > ads, (the data offered are just bait), and you obviously are not
    > reading the ads if you are screenscraping
    >
    > see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/screenscraping.html
    > --

    Good points. Seems to me that you're probably OK if you screenscrape
    government data, though, like
    http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/dnav/pet/pet_pri_gnd_a_epmr_pte_cpgal_w.htm (Got to
    this from http://www.fueleconomy.gov/FEG/gasprices/states/index.shtml) As an
    aside, I'd say that these links are exactly what the OP is looking for.

    AHS
    Arved Sandstrom, Jul 23, 2008