    Cheers

    robert

    http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/
    Robert Klemme, Mar 19, 2010

  2. Robert Klemme

    Phrogz Guest

    On Mar 19, 6:20 am, Robert Klemme <> wrote:
    > apparently the direction news -> mailing is broken (or extremely
    > slow).  I don't see a posting I did ~5 hours ago.  Anybody with
    > similar experiences?

    Here's a test posted to Google groups at 07:26 MST.
    Phrogz, Mar 19, 2010

  3. On Mar 19, 2010, at 7:20 AM, Robert Klemme wrote:

    > apparently the direction news -> mailing is broken (or extremely
    > slow). I don't see a posting I did ~5 hours ago. Anybody with
    > similar experiences?

    Can you point me at the post you are referring to on the newsgroup side =
    so I can look it up and see what happened to it? Thanks.

    James Edward Gray II=
    James Edward Gray II, Mar 19, 2010
  4. 2010/3/19 James Edward Gray II <>:
    > On Mar 19, 2010, at 7:20 AM, Robert Klemme wrote:
    >
    >> apparently the direction news -> mailing is broken (or extremely
    >> slow). =A0I don't see a posting I did ~5 hours ago. =A0Anybody with
    >> similar experiences?

    > Can you point me at the post you are referring to on the newsgroup side s=

    o I can look it up and see what happened to it? =A0Thanks.

    http://groups.google.de/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_frm/thread/1030ad485888=
    6ddf/af74b26045f69573

    My first posting - I don't see it on the mailing list.

    Thanks for offering support!

    Kind regards

    robert

    --=20
    http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/
    Robert Klemme, Mar 19, 2010
  5. On Mar 19, 2010, at 10:29 AM, Robert Klemme wrote:

    > 2010/3/19 James Edward Gray II <>:
    >> On Mar 19, 2010, at 7:20 AM, Robert Klemme wrote:
    >>=20
    >>> apparently the direction news -> mailing is broken (or extremely
    >>> slow). I don't see a posting I did ~5 hours ago. Anybody with
    >>> similar experiences?

    >>=20
    >> Can you point me at the post you are referring to on the newsgroup =

    side so I can look it up and see what happened to it? Thanks.
    >=20
    > =

    http://groups.google.de/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_frm/thread/1030ad48588=
    86ddf/af74b26045f69573
    >=20
    > My first posting - I don't see it on the mailing list.

    Fred, we hare having trouble getting Usenet postings from your server. =
    The issue comes when I try to skip forward to a recent article, using =
    this code in the gateway:

    # switch to the last message we sent (or the first real message before =
    that)
    begin
    Timeout.timeout(30) do
    nntp.stat(last_id_sent)
    end
    rescue Timeout::Error
    log.error "The NNTP message shift timed out."
    exit
    rescue
    if $!.message.include?("Bad article number") and last_id_sent.nonzero?
    last_id_sent -=3D 1
    retry
    else
    log.fatal "Unable to switch to the last message: =
    #{$!.message}"
    exit -1
    end
    end

    The server appears to be denying all of my stat() calls as last_id_sent =
    just keeps counting down:

    # ruby /var/ruby_talk_gateway/bin/news_to_mail.rb =
    /var/log/gateway_news_to_mail.log=20
    =85

    Any thoughts?

    James Edward Gray II=
    James Edward Gray II, Mar 19, 2010
  6. Robert Klemme

    F. Senault Guest

    Le 19 mars 2010 à 17:00, James Edward Gray II a écrit :

    Hi.

    >>> Can you point me at the post you are referring to on the newsgroup side so I
    >>> can look it up and see what happened to it? Thanks.

    >> http://groups.google.de/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_frm/thread/1030ad4858886ddf/af74b26045f69573
    >>
    >> My first posting - I don't see it on the mailing list.

    > Fred, we hare having trouble getting Usenet postings from your server.
    > The issue comes when I try to skip forward to a recent article, using
    > this code in the gateway:

    /.../
    > The server appears to be denying all of my stat() calls as last_id_sent
    > just keeps counting down:
    >
    > # ruby /var/ruby_talk_gateway/bin/news_to_mail.rb /var/log/gateway_news_to_mail.log
    > 263164
    > 263163
    > 263162
    > 263161
    > 263160
    > 263159
    > 263158
    > 263157
    > 263156
    > ?
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    I'm not sure of what this code is supposed to do. Well, of why it does
    that, to be precise - are you trying to find the last gated article to
    retrieve an ID ?

    In this case, the reason it's looping is quite simply that you are
    trying to get articles below the first article in the group (returned by
    the "group" command).

    | 11:00 news@talisker:~% telnet localhost 119
    | /.../
    | group comp.lang.ruby
    | 211 204 263180 263385 comp.lang.ruby
    ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^
    lomark himark

    | stat 263180
    | 223 263180 <> status
    | stat 263179
    | 423 Bad article number

    This is due to yet another hardware problem with the box recently (the
    disk controller died). It seems the overview database (the database of
    important header fields) has been corrupted for this group, leading to a
    very low number of articles (205) while I have a few thousands on disk.

    I have just launched a rebuild of the databases, it should recover all
    the articles... but it's a bit slow on that machine.

    The good news is that I have found a replacement server. I'll try to
    put it in production in a few weeks.

    CYA,

    Fred
    --
    It enters your veins It enters your soul It tries to obsess you
    It looks for defaults Try not to lose Not to lose control
    F. Senault, Mar 20, 2010
  7. Robert Klemme

    F. Senault Guest

    Le 20 mars 2010 à 11:28, F. Senault a écrit :

    >| 11:00 news@talisker:~% telnet localhost 119
    >| /.../
    >| group comp.lang.ruby
    >| 211 204 263180 263385 comp.lang.ruby
    > ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^
    > lomark himark

    | group comp.lang.ruby
    | 211 4437 259122 263387 comp.lang.ruby

    Much better !

    Fred
    --
    The quality of life and the world in general become much better if we
    start chopping off spammers' fingers at a rate of say, 1 finger per
    F. Senault, Mar 20, 2010
  8. Robert Klemme

    JEG2 Guest

    On Mar 20, 5:57 am, "F. Senault" <> wrote:
    > Le 20 mars 2010 à 11:28, F. Senault a écrit :
    >
    > >| 11:00 news@talisker:~% telnet localhost 119
    > >| /.../
    > >| group comp.lang.ruby
    > >| 211 204 263180 263385 comp.lang.ruby
    > >           ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^
    > >           lomark himark

    > | group comp.lang.ruby
    > | 211 4437 259122 263387 comp.lang.ruby
    >
    > Much better !

    Testing a post from the Usenet side.

    James Edward Gray II
    JEG2, Mar 20, 2010
  9. On Mar 20, 2010, at 7:42 AM, F. Senault wrote:

    > Le 20 mars 2010 =E0 11:28, F. Senault a =E9crit :
    >=20
    >> | 11:00 news@talisker:~% telnet localhost 119
    >> | /.../
    >> | group comp.lang.ruby
    >> | 211 204 263180 263385 comp.lang.ruby
    >> ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^
    >> lomark himark

    > | group comp.lang.ruby
    > | 211 4437 259122 263387 comp.lang.ruby
    >=20
    > Much better !

    Yep, it looks like we are back in business. Thanks!

    James Edward Gray II=
    James Edward Gray II, Mar 20, 2010
  10. On 03/20/2010 09:52 PM, James Edward Gray II wrote:

    >>> lomark himark

    >> | group comp.lang.ruby
    >> | 211 4437 259122 263387 comp.lang.ruby
    >>
    >> Much better !

    > Yep, it looks like we are back in business. Thanks!

    Thanks from me as well!

    Robert Klemme, Mar 20, 2010