GCC 3.4.3 and GCC 4.1.2

Discussion in 'C++' started by ashnin, Jul 7, 2008.

  1. ashnin

    ashnin Guest

    Hi,

    Please clarify my doubt.

    My source dir contains combination of C and C++ files
    If I compile it using gcc 3.4.3 version, it works fine with some easy
    warnings which I can clear.

    But if I compile it using gcc 4.1.2 it throws a warning for each .cpp
    file I compile, which I could not clear

    "cc1plus: warning: command line option "-Wdeclaration-after-statement"
    is valid for C/ObjC but not for C++"

    What is the difference between both the compilation? Why is it
    throwing this warning when using gcc 4.1.2? How to avoid this? Is this
    anything to do with the specs file?

    Regards
    ashnin

    ashnin, Jul 7, 2008

  2. ashnin a écrit :
    > Please clarify my doubt.

    I thought the answer you got earlier was clear enough.

    > My source dir contains combination of C and C++ files
    > If I compile it using gcc 3.4.3 version, it works fine with some easy
    > warnings which I can clear.
    >
    > But if I compile it using gcc 4.1.2 it throws a warning for each .cpp
    > file I compile, which I could not clear
    >
    > "cc1plus: warning: command line option "-Wdeclaration-after-statement"
    > is valid for C/ObjC but not for C++"
    >
    > What is the difference between both the compilation? Why is it
    > throwing this warning when using gcc 4.1.2?

    I guess that gcc 3.4.3 silently disabled this warning in the case of C++
    file while 4.1.2 issues a warning.

    > How to avoid this?

    Remove -Wdeclaration-after-statement from the compilation option in your
    build system for c++ files.

    > Is this anything to do with the specs file?

    I guess someone considered that declarations-mixed-with-execution is bad
    style. If you are using Makefile, hunt for it with a good grep.

    --
    Michael

    Michael DOUBEZ, Jul 7, 2008