GCC support for CX options

empeegee

Hi All,

I'm going through the Single Unix Specification V3 (POSIX
standard) available in the net. In the specification of system
interfaces, there are certain parts marked with [CX]or [XSI]. Is those
parts supported by glibc?

For example, in the specification of fprintf(), following has
been said.

[CX] [Option Start] All forms of the fprintf() functions allow for the
insertion of a language-dependent radix character in the output string.
The radix character is defined in the program's locale (category
LC_NUMERIC ). In the POSIX locale, or in a locale where the radix
character is not defined, the radix character shall default to a period
( '.' ). [Option End]

Is this option supported by glibc ( and hence Linux)?

thanks in advance,
Giridharaprasad.

Flash Gordon

empeegee said:
Hi All,

I'm going through the Single Unix Specification V3 (POSIX
standard) available in the net. In the specification of system
interfaces, there are certain parts marked with [CX]or [XSI]. Is those
parts supported by glibc?

<snip>

What does the Unix specification have to do with C? Nothing, C has a
standard all of its own. You could try asking over in
comp.unix.programmer where Unix is on topic, but I suggest doing a
little more research in to the group than you did here, for example read
the FAQ and a couple of weeks worth of posts to see what the group is about.

Vladimir S. Oka

empeegee said:
Hi All,

I'm going through the Single Unix Specification V3 (POSIX
standard) available in the net. In the specification of system
interfaces, there are certain parts marked with [CX]or [XSI]. Is those
parts supported by glibc?

For example, in the specification of fprintf(), following has
been said.

[CX] [Option Start] All forms of the fprintf() functions allow for the
insertion of a language-dependent radix character in the output string.
The radix character is defined in the program's locale (category
LC_NUMERIC ). In the POSIX locale, or in a locale where the radix
character is not defined, the radix character shall default to a period
( '.' ). [Option End]

Is this option supported by glibc ( and hence Linux)?

Try asking in the groups dealing with glibc and/or POSIX. This one
(c.l.c) deals only with the Standard C, as defined by ANSI/ISO.

Dingo

Flash said:
What does the Unix specification have to do with C? Nothing, C has a
standard all of its own.

Nothing? ISO/IEC 9945 references ISO/IEC 9899 more than 800 times.
The ISO/IEC 9899 bibliography lists ISO/IEC 9945 as a reference.

Flash Gordon

Dingo said:
Nothing? ISO/IEC 9945 references ISO/IEC 9899 more than 800 times.
The ISO/IEC 9899 bibliography lists ISO/IEC 9945 as a reference.

That might indicate the C specification having something to do with
Unix, but not the other way around. I've written C code for systems
which don't have enough memory to run Unix and don't have any part of
Unix implemented on them. Or can you find a Unix implementation for the
TI TMS320C25? One that will leave a useful amount of the 16K ROM
available? And a useful amount of the 16K RAM? Oh, and just to make it
harder to implement Unix, remember that you can't execute programs from
the main RAM (there is a small about, under 1K, which can be made
executable).

That isn't even the strangest processor I've used.