gcc TR1 support under Windows 2000?

Scott Meyers

I'm interested in experimenting with the TR1 functionality in g++ (per
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/ext/tr1.html). My understanding
is that this is part of libstd++ only as of g++ 4. I'm currently using
a MinGW port that contains g++ 3.4.2, and there does not appear to be
any TR1 functionality in the version of libstdc++ that ships with that
release.

Ideally, I'd like to upgrade to g++ 4 on Windows 2000, but I'd prefer to
use a prebuilt binary, and the current MinGW port seems to include only
gcc 3.4.x (per http://www.mingw.org/download.shtml), while Cygwin seems
to include 3.3.3 or 3.4.4 (per
http://sourceware.org/cygwin/packages/gcc-g++/ from
http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/packages/).

I have two questions:

- Is there a prebuilt version of gcc 4 for Windows (along with
instructions on how to install it) available somewhere? Googling both
web pages and newsgroup postings failed to turn anything up in this
regard.

- Failing that, is there a way to download a version of libstdc++
containing TR1 support and use that with my existing gcc 3.4.2 MinGW
installation?

In general, I welcome all suggestions on how to experiment with gcc
support for TR1 under Windows 2000.

Thanks,

Scott

Thomas Tutone

Scott said:
[...]

The two versions of gcc available for Windows are minGW (which I, like
you, use) and Cygwin. Neither of them has pre-built binaries yet for
gcc 4.
- Failing that, is there a way to download a version of libstdc++
containing TR1 support and use that with my existing gcc 3.4.2 MinGW
installation?

In general, I welcome all suggestions on how to experiment with gcc
support for TR1 under Windows 2000.

Your best bet: Download DJGPP from www.delorie.com. Yes, it's old
school, and it lacks the Windows headers, but it will run in a Windows
DOS box, which is probably the way you use minGW anyway. DJGPP
upgraded to gcc 4.10 some time ago.

One alternative, of course, is to dual-install Linux on your Windows
system. But if you were interested in experimenting on Linux, you
would have said so.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

Tom

Thomas Tutone

Scott said:
[...]

toton

Scott said:
[...]

There exists a few, and can be built.
I know a few links like
1) http://www.thisiscool.com/gcc_mingw.htm
has a GCC 4.0.2 (i.e with old ABI ) , they also gives how to compile
GCC for Windows.
2) http://javacompiler.mtsystems.ch/index.html
Though they mainly aim GCJ, but they do provide all of GCC, WIndows &
linux version. 4.2

However, none of them are MinGW port (they are GCC compiled for Windows
) , and thus misses all of the Windows tool-chain (like the resource
compilers etc) & headers. To check TR1, I think they will be perfectly
fine. They are not suitable for Windows development (I am not sure
whether they can work with MinGW runtime or not)
Thanks.