    I have used google and searched for gcc tutorial but have not found
    anything usefull yet. Does somebody know a good link to a gcc tutorial?

    JS
    JS, Mar 28, 2005

  2. In article <>, JS <> wrote:
    >I have used google and searched for gcc tutorial but have not found
    >anything usefull yet. Does somebody know a good link to a gcc tutorial?

    What do you expect to find in a gcc tutorial?

    --
    Rouben Rostamian
    Rouben Rostamian, Mar 28, 2005

  3. On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 14:18:33 +0200, JS wrote:

    > I have used google and searched for gcc tutorial but have not found
    > anything usefull yet. Does somebody know a good link to a gcc tutorial?

    I don't know about tutorials but here you will find the documentations
    of the latest gcc releases:

    http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/

    Greetings,
    Steffen.
    Steffen Jakob, Mar 28, 2005
  4. JS

    ab Guest

    Rouben Rostamian wrote:

    > In article <>, JS <>
    > wrote:
    >>I have used google and searched for gcc tutorial but have not found
    >>anything usefull yet. Does somebody know a good link to a gcc tutorial?

    > What do you expect to find in a gcc tutorial?

    Overview of the different compiler options and how in general to use the gcc
    when compiling c code.
    ab, Mar 28, 2005
  5. JS

    JS Guest

    JS, Mar 28, 2005
  6. JS wrote on 28/03/05 :
    > Rouben Rostamian wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>, JS <>
    >> wrote:
    >>> I have used google and searched for gcc tutorial but have not found
    >>> anything usefull yet. Does somebody know a good link to a gcc tutorial?

    >> What do you expect to find in a gcc tutorial?
    >>

    > Overview of the different compiler options and how in general to use the gcc
    > when compiling c code.

    Get the user manual.

    http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/onlinedocs/

    --
    Emmanuel

    "Clearly your code does not meet the original spec."
    "You are sentenced to 30 lashes with a wet noodle."
    -- Jerry Coffin in a.l.c.c++
    Emmanuel Delahaye, Mar 28, 2005
  7. On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 14:18:33 +0200, JS wrote:

    > I have used google and searched for gcc tutorial but have not found
    > anything usefull yet. Does somebody know a good link to a gcc tutorial?

    I hope that my suggestion will be a bit more useful than the arrogant
    ones from some of the previous posters:

    http://www.network-theory.co.uk/docs/gcc/intro
    Felix Rawlings, Mar 28, 2005
  8. JS

    JS Guest

    JS, Mar 28, 2005
  9. JS

    Michael Mair Guest

    Michael Mair, Mar 28, 2005
  10. JS

    Guest

    On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 14:18:33 +0200, JS <> wrote:

    >I have used google and searched for gcc tutorial but have not found
    >anything usefull yet. Does somebody know a good link to a gcc tutorial?

    There are a ton of C and C++ tutorials around, most of them will help you
    with the basics, but explicit instruction about gcc, mingw and most other 0
    cost compilers is right next door to non-existent.
    , Mar 28, 2005
  11. Michael Coyne, Mar 28, 2005
  12. wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 14:18:33 +0200, JS <> wrote:
    >

    >>I have used google and searched for gcc tutorial but have not found
    >>anything usefull yet. Does somebody know a good link to a gcc tutorial?

    > There are a ton of C and C++ tutorials around, most of them will help you
    > with the basics, but explicit instruction about gcc, mingw and most other 0
    > cost compilers is right next door to non-existent.

    This is just silly. The infotext documentation, which the OP should
    have gotten with his compiler, extensively covers the areas he asked
    about. Please stick to things you actually know something about.
    Martin Ambuhl, Mar 28, 2005
  13. Felix Rawlings, Mar 28, 2005
  14. On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 12:06:49 -0600, Michael Coyne wrote:

    > On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 19:03:46 +0200, JS said to the parser:
    >
    >> Felix Rawlings wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.network-theory.co.uk/docs/gcc/intro

    >> Hi the links gives me an error, I have tried
    >> http://www.network-theory.co.uk, which links to some books that can be
    >> ordered. Was that what you thought of?

    > Try:
    > http://www.network-theory.co.uk/docs/gccintro/
    >
    > which is the online version. I expect Felix's fingers slipped in that /
    > by mistake.

    Yep :)
    Felix Rawlings, Mar 28, 2005
  15. JS

    Guest

    On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 18:22:07 GMT, Martin Ambuhl <>
    wrote:

    >This is just silly. The infotext documentation, which the OP should
    >have gotten with his compiler, extensively covers the areas he asked
    >about. Please stick to things you actually know something about.

    There is a difference between "information" and "instruction". Information
    of a complex nature is often useless to people without some kind of
    instruction. Telling someone what something does is not the same as
    explaining how and when to use it.
    , Mar 28, 2005
  16. writes:
    > On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 18:22:07 GMT, Martin Ambuhl <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>This is just silly. The infotext documentation, which the OP should
    >>have gotten with his compiler, extensively covers the areas he asked
    >>about. Please stick to things you actually know something about.

    > There is a difference between "information" and "instruction". Information
    > of a complex nature is often useless to people without some kind of
    > instruction. Telling someone what something does is not the same as
    > explaining how and when to use it.

    Sure. So be best advice we can give is, first, try the extensive
    documentation that's included with gcc (which is admittedly more of a
    reference than a tutorial), then, if that's inadequate, try asking in
    gnu.gcc.help, where the question is much more topical than it is here.

    Keith Thompson, Mar 28, 2005
  17. wrote:

    > On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 18:22:07 GMT, Martin Ambuhl <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>This is just silly. The infotext documentation, which the OP should
    >>have gotten with his compiler, extensively covers the areas he asked
    >>about. Please stick to things you actually know something about.

    > There is a difference between "information" and "instruction".
    > Information of a complex nature is often useless to people without some
    > kind of
    > instruction. Telling someone what something does is not the same as
    > explaining how and when to use it.

    I banged my head against the - to me then - opaque gcc compilation
    instructions when I first encountered it in the form of DJGPP. I was used
    to TurboC++ and its IDE.

    When I started using Linux fulltime, and I started reading makefiles, etc,
    it started to make sense. "gcc -o hello hello.c" makes sense to me now.
    "mingw32-gcc -I resource.h simplewindow simplewindow.c" is where I'm
    struggling now. (And the GNAT compilation instructions, as well. I still
    haven't got the hang of them. gnat-bind ... uh, yes ;)

    It's all a matter of degree.

    Wesley Parish
    --
    "Good, late in to more rewarding well."  "Well, you tonight.  And I was
    lookintelligent woman of Ming home.  I trust you with a tender silence."  I
    Tux Wonder-Dog, Mar 30, 2005
  18. JS

    Dan Pop Guest

    In <d290pc$nbt$-c.dk> JS <> writes:

    >Rouben Rostamian wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>, JS <>
    >> wrote:
    >>>I have used google and searched for gcc tutorial but have not found
    >>>anything usefull yet. Does somebody know a good link to a gcc tutorial?

    >> What do you expect to find in a gcc tutorial?
    >>

    >Overview of the different compiler options and how in general to use the gcc
    >when compiling c code.

    The gcc compiler driver follows the classic Unix C compiler driver
    principles of operation and conventions, so the section about using
    the C compiler in any Unix tutorial will give you the basics.

    For an overview of the gcc options, read the man page. And for any
    additional questions on this topic use gnu.gcc.help.

    Dan
    --
    Dan Pop <>
    Dan Pop, Apr 2, 2005