gcc tutorial?

JS

I have used google and searched for gcc tutorial but have not found
anything usefull yet. Does somebody know a good link to a gcc tutorial?

JS

Rouben Rostamian

I have used google and searched for gcc tutorial but have not found
anything usefull yet. Does somebody know a good link to a gcc tutorial?

What do you expect to find in a gcc tutorial?

Emmanuel Delahaye

dot

I have used google and searched for gcc tutorial but have not found
anything usefull yet. Does somebody know a good link to a gcc tutorial?

There are a ton of C and C++ tutorials around, most of them will help you
with the basics, but explicit instruction about gcc, mingw and most other 0
cost compilers is right next door to non-existent.

Martin Ambuhl

There are a ton of C and C++ tutorials around, most of them will help you
with the basics, but explicit instruction about gcc, mingw and most other 0
cost compilers is right next door to non-existent.

This is just silly. The infotext documentation, which the OP should
have gotten with his compiler, extensively covers the areas he asked
about. Please stick to things you actually know something about.

dot

This is just silly. The infotext documentation, which the OP should
have gotten with his compiler, extensively covers the areas he asked
about. Please stick to things you actually know something about.

There is a difference between "information" and "instruction". Information
of a complex nature is often useless to people without some kind of
instruction. Telling someone what something does is not the same as
explaining how and when to use it.

Keith Thompson

There is a difference between "information" and "instruction". Information
of a complex nature is often useless to people without some kind of
instruction. Telling someone what something does is not the same as
explaining how and when to use it.

Sure. So be best advice we can give is, first, try the extensive
documentation that's included with gcc (which is admittedly more of a
reference than a tutorial), then, if that's inadequate, try asking in
gnu.gcc.help, where the question is much more topical than it is here.

Tux Wonder-Dog

There is a difference between "information" and "instruction".
Information of a complex nature is often useless to people without some
kind of
instruction. Telling someone what something does is not the same as
explaining how and when to use it.

I banged my head against the - to me then - opaque gcc compilation
instructions when I first encountered it in the form of DJGPP. I was used
to TurboC++ and its IDE.

When I started using Linux fulltime, and I started reading makefiles, etc,
it started to make sense. "gcc -o hello hello.c" makes sense to me now.
"mingw32-gcc -I resource.h simplewindow simplewindow.c" is where I'm
struggling now. (And the GNAT compilation instructions, as well. I still
haven't got the hang of them. gnat-bind ... uh, yes ;)

It's all a matter of degree.

Wesley Parish
--
"Good, late in to more rewarding well."  "Well, you tonight.  And I was
lookintelligent woman of Ming home.  I trust you with a tender silence."  I

Dan Pop

In said:
Overview of the different compiler options and how in general to use the gcc
when compiling c code.

The gcc compiler driver follows the classic Unix C compiler driver
principles of operation and conventions, so the section about using
the C compiler in any Unix tutorial will give you the basics.

For an overview of the gcc options, read the man page. And for any
additional questions on this topic use gnu.gcc.help.

Dan