GCD of polynomials

adrin

hi,
anyone knows how does an algorithm for calculating GCD of two polynomials
look like ?
please help me if you can, or give some relevant links :)

Howard

adrin said:
hi,
anyone knows how does an algorithm for calculating GCD of two polynomials
look like ?
please help me if you can, or give some relevant links :)

Try searching at groups.google.com. It's a great resource!
-Howard

alvaro.begue

It looks just like Euclid's algorithm. Divide the largest by the
smallest and replace the largest with the remainder. When the remainder
is 0, the smallest is the gcd.

Howard

adrin said:
i searched google groups, but with no result...
please help me

This isn't the correct forum for finding algorithms...this forum discusses
C++ language issues. You might look in a newsgroup with the word
"algorithm" in its name. But, I just did a google search using the
string"algorithm compute GCD polynomials C++", and got lots of hits that
looked useful to me.

-Howard

Victor Bazarov

adrin said:
anyone knows how does an algorithm for calculating GCD of two polynomials
look like ?
please help me if you can, or give some relevant links :)

adrin

(e-mail address removed) wrote in
It looks just like Euclid's algorithm. Divide the largest by the
smallest and replace the largest with the remainder. When the remainder
is 0, the smallest is the gcd.

thank you very much!! :)
and how does division algorithm look like?

Buster

adrin said:
(e-mail address removed) wrote in

thank you very much!! :)
and how does division algorithm look like?

It's long division. Unless the denominator's degree n is less than the
degree m of the numerator, you can obtain from the denominator a
polynomial of degree < n by subtracting a scalar multiple of x^(n-m)
times the numerator. Repeat until the 'denominator' is zero or has
degree < m. The scalars are the coefficients of x^(n-m) in the quotient,
and the final 'denominator' is the remainder.