    GCJ and Java.
    Thanks in advance.
    Wills.
    Wills, Aug 20, 2007

  2. Wills wrote:
    >Hi,
    > Where to download the binaries of recent GCJ for java.

    Did you try that whole 'google' thing suggested
    on a thread that you recently started?
    <DWS>Dunno', it may just be a passing FAD,
    but it seems to throw up some useful information
    that anybody who wants to ask a *smart*
    *question* would not want to ignore.
    </DWS>

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

    Andrew Thompson, Aug 20, 2007

  3. Wills wrote:
    > Where to download the binaries of recent GCJ for java.Is it
    > bundled with GCC?If so I could find only the source of recent GCC, all
    > the links lead to the same pages.I need to develop a GUI program using
    > GCJ and Java.

    Any Linux distro should have an easy way of getting GCC on it.

    For Windows you can get mingw32.

    GCC comes with gcj.

    Why you want to use gcj I do not understand, because it is
    not a particular good implementation.

    Arne
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=, Aug 21, 2007
  4. Wills

    Wills Guest

    > Why you want to use gcj I do not understand, because it is
    > not a particular good implementation.
    >
    > Arne

    Thanks Arne.
    You are right, but even if GCJ support some minimal number of swing
    components, I can compile the Java programs natively.This may improve
    the performance of the java program and I cannot afford to buy
    JET .That is why I am interested in GCJ, its features ,etc.
    Thanks.
    Wills, Aug 21, 2007
  5. Wills

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 03:05:16 -0700, Wills
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/gcj.html
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary
    Roedy Green, Aug 21, 2007
  6. Wills wrote on 21.08.2007 08:16:
    >> Why you want to use gcj I do not understand, because it is
    >> not a particular good implementation.
    >>
    >> Arne

    > Thanks Arne.
    > You are right, but even if GCJ support some minimal number of swing
    > components, I can compile the Java programs natively.This may improve
    > the performance of the java program and I cannot afford to buy
    > JET .That is why I am interested in GCJ, its features ,etc.
    > Thanks.

    I don't think it will improve your performance. With a modern JVM (1.5 or 1.6)
    your code will be compiled into native code quite quickly, probably with a
    better chance of optimisation than a static compiler could do.

    But if get it working, post your results here. I'd be interested (mainly if I am
    proven wrong or right ;) )

    Thomas
    Thomas Kellerer, Aug 21, 2007
  7. Wills wrote:
    >> Why you want to use gcj I do not understand, because it is
    >> not a particular good implementation.

    > You are right, but even if GCJ support some minimal number of swing
    > components, I can compile the Java programs natively.This may improve
    > the performance of the java program and I cannot afford to buy
    > JET .That is why I am interested in GCJ, its features ,etc.

    It will not improve performance.

    Results from a simple benchmark I use:

    gcj 3.4.4 11,0
    SUN 1.6.0 -client 14,1
    gcj 3.4.4 -O3 20,2
    SUN 1.4.2 -client 20,7
    SUN 1.5.0 -client 24,7
    SUN 1.4.2 -server 40,8
    SUN 1.5.0 -server 54,8
    SUN 1.6.0 -server 60,8

    (higgher = better)

    Arne
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=, Aug 24, 2007
  8. Wills

    Guest

    On Aug 21, 1:16 pm, Wills <> wrote:
    > > Why you want to use gcj I do not understand, because it is
    > > not a particular good implementation.

    > > Arne

    > Thanks Arne.
    > You are right, but even if GCJ support some minimal number of swing
    > components, I can compile the Java programs natively.This may improve
    > the performance of the java program and I cannot afford to buy
    > JET .That is why I am interested in GCJ, its features ,etc.
    > Thanks.

    If your project is non-commercial, you may qualify for a free
    Excelsior JET license:

    http://www.excelsior-usa.com/jetpricing.html#non-comm

    But even if you are developing those Java apps to make money, do
    contact Excelsior, they a reasonable people and would likely trade a
    license for something valuable to them. For instance, they are used to
    give free licenses to most active beta testers.

    LDV
    , Aug 25, 2007