GCJ speed? compile RCP apps?

Markus Dehmann

I often heard that gcj-compiled applications are not faster than
runtime-interpreted java. Is that still true, with the newest gcj
3.4.3? I wonder why I haven't found gcj-compiled apps on the market.
Is that because it's not worth the hassle?

If I want a professional-looking application, the optimal app I can
imagine would be a gcj-compiled rich client application (using
eclipse's Rich Client Platform (RCP) and swt). Is that possible? Or
are Eclipse rich client apps not gcj-compilable?

Thanks!
Markus

Jesper Nordenberg

I often heard that gcj-compiled applications are not faster than
runtime-interpreted java. Is that still true, with the newest gcj
3.4.3? I wonder why I haven't found gcj-compiled apps on the market.
Is that because it's not worth the hassle?

Often it isn't. There are also some problems with statically compiled
Java applications like dynamic class loading, optimized for a specific
CPU etc. For benchmarks check out: http://www.shudo.net/jit/perf/. As
you can see JDK 5 Server is faster than GCJ on most benchmarks.

There are also benchmarks comparing against JET (a commercial static
compiler): http://www.excelsior-usa.com/jetbench.html
If I want a professional-looking application, the optimal app I can
imagine would be a gcj-compiled rich client application (using
eclipse's Rich Client Platform (RCP) and swt). Is that possible? Or
are Eclipse rich client apps not gcj-compilable?

/Jesper Nordenberg