    are Eclipse rich client apps not gcj-compilable?

    Thanks!
    Markus
    Markus Dehmann, Nov 8, 2004

  2. (Markus Dehmann) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I often heard that gcj-compiled applications are not faster than
    > runtime-interpreted java. Is that still true, with the newest gcj
    > 3.4.3? I wonder why I haven't found gcj-compiled apps on the market.
    > Is that because it's not worth the hassle?

    Often it isn't. There are also some problems with statically compiled
    Java applications like dynamic class loading, optimized for a specific
    CPU etc. For benchmarks check out: http://www.shudo.net/jit/perf/. As
    you can see JDK 5 Server is faster than GCJ on most benchmarks.

    There are also benchmarks comparing against JET (a commercial static
    compiler): http://www.excelsior-usa.com/jetbench.html

    > If I want a professional-looking application, the optimal app I can
    > imagine would be a gcj-compiled rich client application (using
    > eclipse's Rich Client Platform (RCP) and swt). Is that possible? Or
    > are Eclipse rich client apps not gcj-compilable?

    /Jesper Nordenberg
    Jesper Nordenberg, Nov 8, 2004