GD::Graph: can't install cpan module

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Cheez, Jan 28, 2004.

  1. Cheez

    Cheez Guest

    Hi there, I can't seem to install the GD::Graph module using the AS
    PPM. I would have expected this module to be available in the default
    repositories however no search turns up GD. There is SVG-GD and other
    variants of GD but no GD, the one, of course, I think I need!

    When I try to 'use GD;' in a script I get this error (of course):

    ---------
    Can't locate GD/Graph.pm in @INC (@INC contains: C:/Perl/lib
    C:/Perl/site/lib .)
    at graph_test.pl line 5.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at graph_test.pl line 5.
    ------------

    I did find GD source code (GD.pm) on CPAN but I'm not sure exactly
    what to do with it.

    Any help in figuring out what's going would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Dan
    Cheez, Jan 28, 2004

  2. Cheez

    Sam Holden Guest

    On 27 Jan 2004 19:08:11 -0800, Cheez <> wrote:
    > Hi there, I can't seem to install the GD::Graph module using the AS
    > PPM. I would have expected this module to be available in the default
    > repositories however no search turns up GD. There is SVG-GD and other
    > variants of GD but no GD, the one, of course, I think I need!
    >
    > When I try to 'use GD;' in a script I get this error (of course):
    >
    > ---------
    > Can't locate GD/Graph.pm in @INC (@INC contains: C:/Perl/lib
    > C:/Perl/site/lib .)
    > at graph_test.pl line 5.
    > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at graph_test.pl line 5.
    > ------------
    >
    > I did find GD source code (GD.pm) on CPAN but I'm not sure exactly
    > what to do with it.

    It's far more than just GD.pm, you need the entire tarball plus an
    install of the gd C libraries plus a compiler (probably the same
    one as was used to compile the perl you are using).

    > Any help in figuring out what's going would be greatly appreciated.

    Activestate haven't got GD working with 5.8:

    http://ppm.activestate.com/BuildStatus/5.8.html

    Hence it isn't available. (by the way you are allowed to have a look
    at ehri web site before asking here...)

    A simple google reveals http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/ as a possible
    source of GD for ActivePerl 8, and http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppmpackages/
    for ActivePerl 6.

    --
    Sam Holden
    Sam Holden, Jan 28, 2004

  3. Cheez

    Cheez Guest

    (Sam Holden) wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 27 Jan 2004 19:08:11 -0800, Cheez <> wrote:[snip]

    > Hence it isn't available. (by the way you are allowed to have a look
    > at ehri web site before asking here...)

    Hi Sam, thanks for the information. Just picked up Perl as a hobby and
    as such, still a newbie to the whole realm. One comment, you really
    don't have to reply to me in a tone that suggests I'm dumb or an
    idiot. I did indeed look at the website but couldn't/didn't find what
    I was looking for.

    I do notice, in general, that the regulars on this NG really don't
    have too much patience for newbies. Surely Perl is not only for the
    elite. I could announce in each and every post that I am a newbie, but
    I have observed that this usually puts a bullseye on the back of one's
    post. I don't remark on this observation because I need sympathy - I
    am thick skinned - but this group is hard core. What brings about
    such a superiority complex? Are all programmers this way? I would
    think that those in the "know" would want more people to enjoy the
    nuances of Perl.

    Anyhow, back to semi-lurker mode.

    Thanks again for the information.
    -Cheez

    Cheez, Jan 29, 2004
  4. Cheez <> wrote:

    > I do notice, in general, that the regulars on this NG really don't
    > have too much patience for newbies. Surely Perl is not only for the
    > elite. I could announce in each and every post that I am a newbie, but
    > I have observed that this usually puts a bullseye on the back of one's
    > post. I don't remark on this observation because I need sympathy - I
    > am thick skinned - but this group is hard core. What brings about
    > such a superiority complex? Are all programmers this way? I would
    > think that those in the "know" would want more people to enjoy the
    > nuances of Perl.

    It's not superiority, I think, just impatience with perceived time-wasters.
    People who ask FAQs when they've already been directed to the FAQ. People
    who say "Perl sux, I r00l, you're all stupid, and BTW, can u help me with
    this?" People who won't use modules when it would take less time for them
    to read the module docs and write the code than it would for them
    repeatedly post about why they don't use modules. People who insist on
    doing something their way when others know from bitter experience that
    *that* way will eventually create problems. And on and on. Some valued
    contributors to this group have left because they finally became tired of
    dealing with it.

    From http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html, which is a pretty
    good take on the subject:

    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give
    offence. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-bullshit
    communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about
    solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

    I didn't quite get warm fuzzies from Message-ID
    <40172d47$0$1749$>, but it was good to see.
    The question was well-defined and the answer was succinct and accurate.

    --
    David Wall
    David K. Wall, Jan 29, 2004