GDBM_file install problems (perl 5.8.0, freebsd 4.8-stable)

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Mike Hunter, Oct 2, 2003.

  1. Mike Hunter

    Mike Hunter Guest

    Greetings,

    A script I have needs GDBM_File. I tried getting it from cpan, but I was
    thwarted:

    % perl -MCPAN -e 'install GDBM_File'
    CPAN: Storable loaded ok
    Going to read /usr/cpan/Metadata
    Database was generated on Wed, 01 Oct 2003 15:46:16 GMT
    Running install for module GDBM_File
    Running make for J/JH/JHI/perl-5.8.1.tar.gz

    The most recent version "1.07" of the module "GDBM_File"
    comes with the current version of perl (5.8.1).
    I'll build that only if you ask for something like
    force install GDBM_File
    or
    install J/JH/JHI/perl-5.8.1.tar.gz
    Running make test
    Make had some problems, maybe interrupted? Won't test
    Has no own directory
    Running make install
    Has no own directory
    Make had some problems, maybe interrupted? Won't install

    I have cpan set to follow dependencies...when I do force install it proceeds
    to try to upgrade perl to 5.8.1. I don't want to do that (I'm afraid because
    perl is part of the base system in freebsd 4.8...or should I not be afraid
    afterall?)

    The script I'm trying to get to compile is quite old, so I can hardly believe
    that perl needs to be upgraded to fix this problem. I tried sucking the
    GDBM_file.pm into the @INC off of cpan.org, but it didn't like that, I think
    because GDBM_file needs to me made with *make* to bind it to the actual GDBM
    library from gnu.

    Do I need to tell cpan to grab an older version? If so, how do I do that?

    Any help appreciated,

    Mike

    Mike Hunter, Oct 2, 2003