gdmodule max colors

John Hunter

GD module has a constant gdMaxColors
From the web page:

Maximum number of colors in an image; GD will likely change this
figure in a future version.

Is there any way to increase this number?

In the GD FAQ, there is an entry about missing colors in JPEG images
that reads

When creating truecolor images, you need to call
gdImageCreateTrueColor, not gdImageCreate.

but I see no analog of this in gdmodule.

I tried increasing gdMaxColors to 2048 in gd.h of the GD src and
recompiled it and gdmodule. When I do
2048

I get the right answer, but then I get a segfault when I try and
create my image.

I am creating pseudo-color plots in GD and would like to have a larger
color pallet.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
John Hunter