gem built with 0.9.5 cannot be installed with 0.9.4

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Dan Manges, Dec 10, 2007.

  1. Dan Manges

    Dan Manges Guest

    Has anybody released a gem built with rubygems 0.9.5? I built the
    latest version of deep_test with 0.9.5, but it seems like it cannot be
    installed with 0.9.4 clients. It shows up in the gem list without a
    platform (version 1.0.3):

    Select which gem to install for your platform (i686-darwin9.0.0)
    1. deep_test 1.0.4 (ruby)
    2. deep_test 1.0.3 ()
    3. deep_test 1.0.2 (ruby)
    4. deep_test 1.0.1 (ruby)
    5. Skip this gem
    6. Cancel installation
    > 2

    ERROR: While executing gem ... (OpenURI::HTTPError)
    404 Not Found

    It's then looking to download the gem with an extra hyphen at the end:
    "http://gems.rubyforge.org/gems/deep_test-1.0.3-.gem"

    I submitted a defect, but wanted to know if anybody else ran into
    this.
    http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=16177&group_id=126&atid=575

    The gemspec I used is here:
    http://deep-test.rubyforge.org/svn/trunk/Rakefile

    Thanks,
    Dan

    Dan Manges, Dec 10, 2007

  2. Dan Manges

    Dan Manges Guest

    To follow up, adding this line to the gem spec fixes the problem:
    s.platform = Gem::platform::RUBY

    I noticed a couple other gems have been affected by this:
    "addressable-1.0.1.gem"
    "gchart-0.1.0.gem"

    Dan

    Dan Manges, Dec 11, 2007

  3. Dan,

    One of the features of 0.9.5 is that, "A gem can depend on a specific
    RubyGems version". I'm not sure what makes it exclusive to that
    version.

    Here is where I quoted from:
    http://blog.segment7.net/articles/2007/11/19/rubygems-0-9-5

    Bill