Gem command works locally, not on remote machine

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by eeby, Aug 29, 2008.

  1. eeby

    eeby Guest

    I'm having some trouble with the gem command. On my local MacBook Pro
    the gem command works fine...

    $ sudo gem outdated
    Password:

    ....just returns nothing, as expected.

    $ sudo gem update --system
    Updating RubyGems
    Nothing to update
    $

    On my CentOS 5 VPS I get a completely different response...

    $ su -
    # gem outdated
    Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org

    And it just stops there without returning to the command prompt. Same
    deal with any gem subcommand I try.

    Local gem environment:

    - RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.2.0
    - RUBY VERSION: 1.8.6 (2007-03-13 patchlevel 0) [universal-
    darwin8.0]
    - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
    - RUBY EXECUTABLE: /usr/local/bin/ruby
    - EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: /usr/local/bin
    - RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
    - ruby
    - universal-darwin-8
    - GEM PATHS:
    - /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
    - GEM CONFIGURATION:
    - :update_sources => true
    - :verbose => true
    - :benchmark => false
    - :backtrace => false
    - :bulk_threshold => 1000
    - :sources => ["http://gems.rubyforge.org/", "http://
    gems.github.com"]
    - REMOTE SOURCES:
    - http://gems.rubyforge.org/
    - http://gems.github.com

    Remote:

    gem environment
    RubyGems Environment:
    - RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.0.1 (1.0.1)
    - RUBY VERSION: 1.8.6 (2008-03-03 patchlevel 114) [x86_64-linux]
    - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
    - RUBY EXECUTABLE: /usr/local/bin/ruby
    - RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
    - ruby
    - x86_64-linux
    - GEM PATHS:
    - /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
    - GEM CONFIGURATION:
    - :update_sources => true
    - :verbose => true
    - :benchmark => false
    - :backtrace => false
    - :bulk_threshold => 1000
    - REMOTE SOURCES:
    - http://gems.rubyforge.org

    OK, the remote version is 1.0.1 and local is 1.2.0. I tried to upgrade
    RubyGems by running...

    gem update --system

    but it froze without returning as described above.

    Any ideas why this would be? Any suggestions for how to get gems
    working?

    Thanks,

    eeby, Aug 29, 2008

  2. On 2008-08-29 06:51:00 +0100, eeby <> said:

    > On my CentOS 5 VPS I get a completely different response...
    >
    > $ su -
    > # gem outdated
    > Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
    >
    > And it just stops there without returning to the command prompt.

    There's an issue with gem on low memory machines; I believe that the
    YAML representation of the source index that it builds from the info on
    gems.rubyforge.org takes up so much memory that a 256MB VPS can't
    really cope with it and starts swapping heavily. top should verify
    whether or not this is your problem.

    I've had success with a VPS with 512MB of memory.

    I'm not sure if this issue has been fixed yet, but in an emergency you
    should be able to install updates by downloading them manually and
    installing them from a local gem file.

    Graham

    Graham Ashton, Aug 31, 2008