Gem Feature Request

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Jim Freeze, Mar 12, 2005.

  1. Jim Freeze

    Jim Freeze Guest

    Rubygems is cool.
    I like the versioning of libraries, but I
    particularly like the versioning of applications.
    For example:

    $ gem list --local rake

    *** LOCAL GEMS ***

    rake (0.4.15, 0.4.14, 0.4.13)
    Ruby based make-like utility.

    $ rake --version
    rake, version 0.4.15
    $ rake _0.4.13_ --version
    rake, version 0.4.13

    This 'coolness' needs one added feature to
    make it complete. That is the ability to
    specify an app version in some way other than
    the command line.

    This need arises most often when I am calling
    an app from a script and I want to test the
    result with different versions of the app.
    For example:

    ===some complicated script===
    xyz_app # one of many app calls inside the script
    ===end some complicated script===

    Let's suppose I am testing revision 1 and 2 of xyz_app.
    I can see two ways that an end user could control which
    app is called. 1) environment variable and 2) resource file.

    1)
    setenv RUBYGEMS_USE_APP_VERSION_xyz_app 1
    ...run script # equivalent to xyz_app _1_
    setenv RUBYGEMS_USE_APP_VERSION_xyz_app 2
    ...run script # equivalent to xyz_app _2_

    or)
    app_versions:
    xyz_app: 1
    rake: 0.4.13

    Sorry, I don't know what a .gemrc file looks like
    but you get the idea.

    So, what do you think?

    --
    Jim Freeze