gem install does not work on libxml-ruby

c++student

hi I tried the gem install -f command to install the ruby xml library
but it fails
I ahve visual studio installed and do not know under what enviornment
this instructions are valid. CAn you give me pointers? The rubygarden
web page sucks.. it is hard to find info from it and it shows junk on a
lot of the links on the site.

The screen output and the installation is attached.

Q:\>gem install -r libxml-ruby
*** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
details. You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:
--with-opt-dir
--without-opt-dir
--with-opt-include
--without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
--with-opt-lib
--without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
--with-make-prog
--srcdir=.
--curdir
--ruby=d:/ruby/bin/ruby
--with-iconv-dir
--without-iconv-dir
--with-iconv-include
--without-iconv-include=${iconv-dir}/include
--with-iconv-lib
--without-iconv-lib=${iconv-dir}/lib
--with-xml2-dir
--without-xml2-dir
--with-xml2-include
--without-xml2-include=${xml2-dir}/include
--with-xml2-lib
--without-xml2-lib=${xml2-dir}/lib
--with-zlib-dir
--without-zlib-dir
--with-zlib-include
--without-zlib-include=${zlib-dir}/include
--with-zlib-lib
--without-zlib-lib=${zlib-dir}/lib
--with-socketlib
--without-socketlib
--with-nsllib
--without-nsllib
--with-mlib
--without-mlib
--with-zlib
--without-zlib
ERROR: While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
Gem files will remain installed in
d:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/libxml-ruby-0.
3.8 for inspection.
ruby extconf.rb install -r libxml-ruby\nchecking for socket() in
socket.lib...
no
checking for gethostbyname() in nsl.lib... no
checking for atan() in m.lib... yes
checking for inflate() in z.lib... no
extconf failure: need zlib

Results logged to
d:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/libxml-ruby-0.3.8/ext/xml/gem_m
ake.out

Ross Bamford

hi I tried the gem install -f command to install the ruby xml library
but it fails
I ahve visual studio installed and do not know under what enviornment
this instructions are valid. CAn you give me pointers? The rubygarden
web page sucks.. it is hard to find info from it and it shows junk on a
lot of the links on the site.

There's some ongoing work taking place at RubyGarden. They do have this
thing called the 'tarpit' whereby spam might be visible if you're not
logged in... But anyway...:
The screen output and the installation is attached.

Looking at the extconf output, it looks like you don't have zlib
installed. You should grab a copy and install it, then try again.

Premade windows DLLs are available from [1] but I can't vouch for them I'm
afraid. I expect they include the headers, but if not you'll need to get
the source instead. I know quite a few have successfully used libxml-ruby
on Windows so you shouldn't have too many problems.

If you end up having to supply extconf options, you'll unfortunately have
to forgo the Gem install and use the tarball installer. There's a bit of
documentation on doing that at [2] (it's not too difficult anyway). We
also have a mailing list at [3].

Hope that helps,
Ross

[1] http://www.zlib.net/zlib123-dll.zip