gem install mysql error

javachallenge

gem install mysql

generates this errors:

ruby extconf.rb install mysql
checking for mysql_query() in mysqlclient.lib... no
hecking for main() in m.lib... yes
checking for mysql_query() in mysqlclient.lib... no
checking for main() in z.lib... no
checking for mysql_query() in mysqlclient.lib... no
checking for main() in socket.lib... no
checking for mysql_query() in mysqlclient.lib... no
checking for main() in nsl.lib... no
checking for mysql_query() in mysqlclient.lib... no

Both in Linux and in Windows.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance. JC

javachallenge

Caleb said:
Do you have the mysql client libraries installed?

I have mysql server installed. Where do I get the "client" libraries?
Do I need to gem install mysql to use Rails?

Thanks.

Hampton

Java,

I've had similar problems on Ubuntu. However, luckily Ubuntu provides a
package called rubymysql (or something like that) which does the trick,
and I assume there is a .deb and a .rpm for it.

I installed the client libraries and it still didn't help on my linux
box. A bit frustrating, honestly. But, I finally did get it working.
Its worth it!

-hampton.

x1

you dont need to install the mysql gem for rails... just configure
databases.yml (i believe is the file)

l.arivarasan

Try this (Debian, Ubuntu):

# aptitude install libmysqlclient16-dev