gem install mysql on windows (xp)

adriatic

hi. i'm trying to "gem install mysql" on windows. what i get is ...
(please, see below). i scanned a few of forums, blogs an groups, but
not found a clear and simple newbie answer. any help to solve this and
progree further will be appreciated.

C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\mysql-2.7>"c:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe"
"c:\ruby\bin\gem
" install mysql
Attempting local installation of 'mysql'
Local gem file not found: mysql*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'mysql'
ERROR: While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
Gem files will remain installed in
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7 for
inspection.
ruby extconf.rb install mysql\nchecking for mysql_query() in
mysqlclient.lib..
.. no
checking for main() in m.lib... yes
checking for mysql_query() in mysqlclient.lib... no
checking for main() in z.lib... no
checking for mysql_query() in mysqlclient.lib... no
checking for main() in socket.lib... no
checking for mysql_query() in mysqlclient.lib... no
checking for main() in nsl.lib... no
checking for mysql_query() in mysqlclient.lib... no

Results logged to c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7/gem_make.out
MSH C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\mysql-2.7>

Kevin Olbrich

I've been having the problems as well on my WinXP box. See the comments on
http://weblog.rubyonrails.com/archives/2005/10/30/get-10-15-more-performance
-with-mysql-rails

[...]

z.lib... no checking for mysql_query() in mysqlclient.lib... no checking for
main() in socket.lib... no checking for mysql_query() in mysqlclient.lib...
no checking for main() in nsl.lib... no checking for mysql_query() in
mysqlclient.lib... no

Results logged to c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7/gem_make.out
MSH C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\mysql-2.7>

zdennis

Kevin said:
I've been having the problems as well on my WinXP box. See the comments on
http://weblog.rubyonrails.com/archives/2005/10/30/get-10-15-more-performance
-with-mysql-rails

I scanned the post, it doesn't look like that post or any comments help on getting the mysql
bindings to compile on a windows box.

Park Heesob and myself have been trying to figure out how-to get these to compile on windows. Park
has a solution which can be found at:

http://groups.google.co.kr/group/comp.lang.ruby/msg/6b3a305604ee2299

He also posted a binary for the mysql.so

Also make note you need a cl.exe version of 13 (so .NET compatible), Visual Studio 6 doesn't seem to
work.

I am having problems when running that w/rails. If anyone is able to get the mysql bindings to
cleanly compile on windows and pass all tests please post to the list!

Zach