gem install rails hangs

Scott

Doesnt looks rails-specific, any gem will hang after I get the followin
message: "Updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org".
The problem is identical to the one described here:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_thread/thread/eaa8028a9593aade/ed0a99da8c495724
(after he had fixed his initial error).

Also, Tim's test script (from the url above) fails in a similar
fashion:

require 'socket'

hostname = ARGV[0]
puts "Making socket to #{hostname}"
sock = TCPSocket.new(hostname, 80)
mesg = "GET /yaml.Z HTTP/1.1\r\nHost: #{hostname}\r\n\r\n"
puts "writing to socket #{hostname}: " + mesg
sock.write mesg
puts "Wow, no hang!"

It doesnt make it past sock.write. I'm using Ruby 1.8.2 (from the
one-click installer) and RubyGems 0.8.11 on Win Xp Pro x64. I've also
tried 1.8.4 and had the same problems. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Scott

Lou Vanek

just talking out loud here, trying to rule out the obvious.

first, can you ping gems.rubyforge.org?

at a command line, what happens when you type

telnet gems.rubyforge.org 80

then type Control-D ENTER?
You should see HTML.
If not, can you

telnet www.yahoo.com 80
Control-D ENTER ENTER

Again, you should see a bunch of HTML.

Can you (perhaps temporarily) turn off the Windows firewall (it's on by default).
Control Panel -> Network Connections
right click on 'Local Area Connection' and select 'Properties'
Choose 'Advanced' tab, and select 'Windows Firewall' settings,
and then turn it off.

Do you have any other firewall software installed?

Does your computer sit behind a proxy server?
If so, does the proxy server filter out some sites/ports?

Have you tried rebooting your computer, and, if you have a firewall,
rebooting the firewall?

do you see anything unusual when you do,
netstat -a

If you are running a bunch of concurrent tcp/ip sessions, have you tried
changing the maximum number of allowed connections with
EvID4226Patch.exe
http://blog.davidkaspar.com/archives/2005/04/windows-xp-sp2-and-event-id-4226.php
http://lvllord.de/?lang=en&url=downloads

Are you logged on as an administrator?

Have you recently changed settings in 'Administrative Tools' -> 'Local Security Settings'?

Does 'Administrative Tools' -> 'Event Viewer' show any errors
that could be causing this?

If none of those helped, I'm at a loss.

Windows XP ProSP2 (32 bit)
Cygwin Ruby 1.8.3

Scott

Thanks for the ideas. Everything you listed works as it should. I've
tried disable the firewall, I'm not behind a proxy, I've rebooted,
havent touched anything in 'Local Security Policy', event viewer doesnt
show anything that looks related to the problem (some kind of cd rom
driver issues though). I am logged in as Administrator as well. I
dont have too many concurrent tcp/ip sessions either. What should I
look for when using netstat -a to determine if anyting's screwy? Here
the output I get:

Active Connections

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
TCP fizzy:epmap fizzy:0 LISTENING
TCP fizzy:microsoft-ds fizzy:0 LISTENING
TCP fizzy:1026 fizzy:0 LISTENING
TCP fizzy:1030 fizzy:0 LISTENING
TCP fizzy:1037 fizzy:1038 ESTABLISHED
TCP fizzy:1038 fizzy:1037 ESTABLISHED
TCP fizzy:netbios-ssn fizzy:0 LISTENING
TCP fizzy:1426 virtual-www.mozilla.org:http CLOSING
TCP fizzy:1431 66-195-250-153.gen.twtelecom.net:http
ESTABLISHED
TCP fizzy:1432 66-195-250-153.gen.twtelecom.net:http
ESTABLISHED
TCP fizzy:1435 216.129.107.21:http ESTABLISHED
UDP fizzy:microsoft-ds *:*
UDP fizzy:isakmp *:*
UDP fizzy:1025 *:*
UDP fizzy:1220 *:*
UDP fizzy:ipsec-msft *:*
UDP fizzy:ntp *:*
UDP fizzy:ssdp *:*
UDP fizzy:ntp *:*
UDP fizzy:netbios-ns *:*
UDP fizzy:netbios-dgm *:*
UDP fizzy:ssdp *:*

This is a fresh install of Windows x64 on my new Athlon 64 x2 3800+
system, I'm dyin to get ruby running properly here!

Lou Vanek

your network connection appears to be functioning normally,
which means your problem appears to be with Ruby, or the 32-bit
image of Ruby on your 64-bit system.

I would try installing Cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com/) and the Ruby
version that comes precompiled for it. Cygwin says they are 64-bit
compatible, thus should run on Windows x64.

If that doesn't work, I would look at compiling Ruby 1.8.2 natively
on your system.

Sorry, I can't think of an easier solution. Installing Cygwin is easy
and only takes a few minutes. Hopefully that will work (it works well
for me).

-lv