    but what if there is a "mswin" and a "ruby" version? Any way to get
    it to pick the right one?

    Mike B.
    barjunk, May 9, 2007

  2. On 5/8/07, barjunk <> wrote:
    > I know that I can do:
    >
    > gem install --version '> 0.3.2' packagename
    >
    > but what if there is a "mswin" and a "ruby" version? Any way to get
    > it to pick the right one?

    Not that I know of, but there's been quite a bit of discussion of late
    on the rubygems list on getting gem to recognize different platforms
    and do away with the need to select mswin vs. ruby vs. new platforms
    like jruby.

    It seems to have the attention of the gems developers. I for one will
    welcome this when they implement it.

    --
    Rick DeNatale

    My blog on Ruby
    http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/
    Rick DeNatale, May 9, 2007

  3. barjunk

    John Joyce Guest

    I second that. There is plenty of information about the system
    available to software.

    John Joyce, May 10, 2007
  4. barjunk

    bbiker Guest

    On May 8, 8:29 pm, barjunk <> wrote:
    > I know that I can do:
    >
    > gem install --version '> 0.3.2' packagename
    >
    > but what if there is a "mswin" and a "ruby" version? Any way to get
    > it to pick the right one?
    >
    > Mike B.

    yes, vial gem install. For example:

    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>gem install ruby-debug-base
    Select which gem to install for your platform (i386-mswin32)
    1. ruby-debug-base 0.9.3 (ruby)
    2. ruby-debug-base 0.9.3 (mswin32)
    3. ruby-debug-base 0.9.2 (mswin32)
    4. ruby-debug-base 0.9.2 (ruby)
    5. Skip this gem
    6. Cancel installation
    > 2

    Have you tried? gem install --version '= 0.3.2 (mswin32)' packagename

    I normally use the first example ..
    bbiker, May 11, 2007