'gem install' vs. 'ruby install.rb'. A few questions.

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Géraud Contisouzas, Sep 4, 2006.

  1. Hello list,

    First, a little disclaimer : I don't know jack on ruby, gem, rails or
    anything. I hit this problem after a week-end trying to install Typo
    on FreeBSD. Did my homework with grandma' Google on my side, even went
    to IRC to burn some karma, and well, as they say in another corner of
    the programming language map, "Warnock Applies".

    To make a long story short : you can install (as in extract the gem
    and put the files in due place) Typo on FreeBSD but it won't run.
    There's a missing dependency --namely the new rails-app-installer
    gem-- which I tried to make a port for (for people in the GNU/Linux
    land, think 'debian package'). Here is where I hit a wall :
    rails-app-installer needs sqlite3. There's already a port for
    sqlite3-ruby in FreeBSD, that uses the 'ruby install.rb' way. On the
    filesystem, the files are stored in
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/sqlite3/...

    Now, trying to `gem install` the rails-app-installer it complains that
    sqlite3-ruby is missing. Indeed all the gems are installed in
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ and I assume that it's trying to
    check the deps within this directory. Now, please keep in mind that my
    goal is to fix the state of Typo in FreeBSD in general. I'm not
    interested in installing Typo just for myself, I have a greater goal
    than that ;)

    So, here are my questions :

    - Is it possible to tell gem to cross the border and have a look in
    ../site_ruby/ for deps checking?

    - If no, well, what could be the risks of having a 'ruby install.rb'
    and a 'gem install' version of the same package at the same time?
    Would there be some kind of conflict that would make everything
    explode?

    - If conflicts occur, is there any functional or performance-related
    difference between the two versions? Which one should be TheOne in
    your opinion?

    I hope I made myself clear, I had issues on IRC to make people grok
    where I was heading. Anyway, thanks in advance for your wisdom.

    Best regards,

    Geraud
    Géraud Contisouzas, Sep 4, 2006

  2. Géraud Contisouzas

    Victor Grey Guest

    The sqlite3-ruby gem is working for me now on FreeBSD, but in case it
    helps someone: the gem has a dependency on swig, but it installs without
    it -- it just doesn't work. Even worse, it seems to work for some
    operations, but fails for others.

    This maneuver fixed my problem:

    gem uninstall sqlite3-ruby
    cd /usr/ports/devel/swig13