Gem Installation problem on Ubuntu

Sam Kong

Hi!

I'm trying to install ruby, gem, rails on my fresh Ubuntu.
I'm not a Linux expert but have experiences with ruby on Windows and
Mac.

I used apt-get install ruby and it installed ruby 1.8.3 which doesn't
work with rails unfortunately.
So I uninstalled it and manually installed ruby 1.8.4 and it worked
fine.
I downloaded rubygems 0.8.11 and ran ruby setup.rb but had errors like
the following.

/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:21:in
'require__': no such file to load -- zlib (LoadError)

I searched for the solution of that issue and found the following info
at http://docs.rubygems.org/read/chapter/3

Debian Linux: Debian does not automatically include all the standard
Ruby libararies in the basic Ruby package. As a result, you may need to
''apt-get'' libyaml-ruby and libzlib-ruby before you can
install rubygems.

So I did apt-get install libyaml-ruby libzlib_ruby and they proceeded
fine.

But I still have the zlib error.
What did I miss?
Additionally, why does Ubuntu install ruby 1.8.3 by default instead of
1.8.4 or 1.8.2?
Whenever I try to get along with linux, such minor things as these get
in the way and keep discouraging me...:)
(Sorry for whining...)

Any help would be appreciated.

Sam

Sam Kong

Sam said:
[...]

Never mind.
I solved it.

I reinstalled ruby and it worked.
Probably I had to install libyaml-ruby and libzlib_ruby before I made
ruby.

Sam

Joe Van Dyk

Sam said:
[...]

Complain to the Debian people please. They are refusing to fix this.

Joe