gem installation-time dependency

Mark Moseley

Is there a way to build a gem in such a way so that dependencies can be
resolved at installation-time?

I want users to be able to "gem install ruby-debug-ide", and have the
ruby-debug-ide gem install either ruby-debug-base or ruby-debug-base19,
depending on the version of Ruby that they're running.

I'm thinking maybe extconf.rb could do this, but just wanted to see if
anyone had any ideas.

Mark Moseley

Well, if anyone's curious, I figured it out. Take a look at the
ruby-debug-ide19 gem. It works for both Ruby 1.8 and 1.9, detecting the
dependencies at install time.

Eric Hodel

Is there a way to build a gem in such a way so that dependencies can
be
resolved at installation-time?

I want users to be able to "gem install ruby-debug-ide", and have the
ruby-debug-ide gem install either ruby-debug-base or ruby-debug-
base19,
depending on the version of Ruby that they're running.

I'm thinking maybe extconf.rb could do this, but just wanted to see if
anyone had any ideas.

Why isn't ruby-debug-base "fat" (containing both 1.8 and 1.9 code)?

See also:

http://tenderlovemaking.com/2009/05/07/fat-binary-gems-make-the-rockin-world-go-round/

Mark Moseley