gem libray name conflict problem

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Heesob Park, Jun 24, 2009.

  1. Heesob Park

    Heesob Park Guest

    Hi all,

    When I saw "require 'inline'" in a ruby file, I thought the gem is
    'inline'. So I runned "gem install inline" and it installed.
    But the ruby file failed to run. After some inspection, I runned "gem
    install RubyInline" and it installed. The ruby file still failed to
    run.
    Finally I runned "gem uninstall inline" and the ruby file runned to succeed.
    I noticed there are two gems named inline: inline (0.1.0) and
    RubyInline (3.8.2, 3.8.1).

    I tried "gem search inline -r"
    The output is
    *** REMOTE GEMS ***

    inline (0.1.0)
    inline_attachment (0.4.0)
    InlineAttachment (0.3.0)
    InlineFortran (1.0.0)
    RubyInline (3.8.2, 3.8.1)
    RubyInlineAcceleration (0.0.1)

    How to find out which gem's real library name is 'inline'?
    How to avoid name conflict problem when I develop a new gem?

    Regards,

    Park Heesob
    Heesob Park, Jun 24, 2009

  2. Heesob Park

    Ryan Davis Guest

    On Jun 23, 2009, at 21:51 , Heesob Park wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > When I saw "require 'inline'" in a ruby file, I thought the gem is
    > 'inline'. So I runned "gem install inline" and it installed.
    > But the ruby file failed to run. After some inspection, I runned "gem
    > install RubyInline" and it installed. The ruby file still failed to
    > run.
    > Finally I runned "gem uninstall inline" and the ruby file runned to
    > succeed.
    > I noticed there are two gems named inline: inline (0.1.0) and
    > RubyInline (3.8.2, 3.8.1).
    >
    > I tried "gem search inline -r"
    > The output is
    > *** REMOTE GEMS ***
    >
    > inline (0.1.0)
    > inline_attachment (0.4.0)
    > InlineAttachment (0.3.0)
    > InlineFortran (1.0.0)
    > RubyInline (3.8.2, 3.8.1)
    > RubyInlineAcceleration (0.0.1)
    >
    > How to find out which gem's real library name is 'inline'?
    > How to avoid name conflict problem when I develop a new gem?

    I think I've talked to them before about that. I came first. :)

    `gem which inline` is what you're looking for.
    Ryan Davis, Jun 24, 2009

  3. Heesob Park

    Heesob Park Guest

    2009/6/24 Ryan Davis <>:

    > On Jun 23, 2009, at 21:51 , Heesob Park wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> When I saw "require 'inline'" in a ruby file, I thought the gem is
    >> 'inline'. So I runned "gem install inline" and it installed.
    >> But the ruby file failed to run. After some inspection, I runned "gem
    >> install RubyInline" and it installed. The ruby file still failed to
    >> run.
    >> Finally I runned "gem uninstall inline" and the ruby file runned to
    >> succeed.
    >> I noticed there are two gems named inline: inline (0.1.0) and
    >> RubyInline (3.8.2, 3.8.1).
    >>
    >> I tried "gem search inline -r"
    >> The output is
    >> *** REMOTE GEMS ***
    >>
    >> inline (0.1.0)
    >> inline_attachment (0.4.0)
    >> InlineAttachment (0.3.0)
    >> InlineFortran (1.0.0)
    >> RubyInline (3.8.2, 3.8.1)
    >> RubyInlineAcceleration (0.0.1)
    >>
    >> How to find out which gem's real library name is 'inline'?
    >> How to avoid name conflict problem when I develop a new gem?

    > I think I've talked to them before about that. I came first. :)
    >
    > `gem which inline` is what you're looking for.

    Thanks, but I want remote search.
    `gem which inline --remote` is not working.

    Regards,

    Park Heesob
    Heesob Park, Jun 24, 2009
  4. Mistress Janna Brossard, Jun 24, 2009
  5. Heesob Park

    Asif Iqbal Guest

    Re: unsubscribe

    You need to send the email to

    On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 7:38 AM, Mistress Janna Brossard <
    > wrote:

    > unsubscribe

    > Bing=99 brings you maps, menus, and reviews organized in one place. Tr=

    y it
    > now.
    >
    > http://www.bing.com/search?q=3Drestaurants&form=3DMLOGEN&publ=3DWLHMTAG&c=

    rea=3DTEXT_MLOGEN_Core_tagline_local_1x1

    --=20
    Asif Iqbal
    PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    Asif Iqbal, Jun 24, 2009
  6. Heesob Park

    Eric Hodel Guest

    On Jun 23, 2009, at 22:55, Heesob Park wrote:
    > 2009/6/24 Ryan Davis <>:
    >>
    >>> How to find out which gem's real library name is 'inline'?
    >>> How to avoid name conflict problem when I develop a new gem?

    >> I think I've talked to them before about that. I came first. :)
    >>
    >> `gem which inline` is what you're looking for.
    >>

    > Thanks, but I want remote search.
    > `gem which inline --remote` is not working.

    There's no easy way to implement a remote `gem which`.
    Eric Hodel, Jul 22, 2009