gem local install/dependency problem

Patrick Gundlach

Dear Rubyists,

I try to install rails (gem) and I do have a set of gems in my current
directory:

actionpack-1.8.1.gem
activesupport-1.0.4.gem
actionwebservice-0.7.1.gem rails-0.12.1.gem
actionmailer-0.9.1.gem activerecord-1.10.1.gem rake-0.5.4.gem

so I try:

$ gem list

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

PrettyException (0.9.5)
PrettyException is a library to output pretty html output for raised
exceptions.

rake (0.5.4)
Ruby based make-like utility.

RedCloth (3.0.3)
RedCloth is a module for using Textile and Markdown in Ruby. Textile
and Markdown are text formats. A very simple text format. Another
stab at making readable text that can be converted to HTML.

sources (0.0.1)
This package provides download sources for remote gem installation

$ gem install rails --include-dependencies
Attempting local installation of 'rails'
Successfully installed rails, version 0.12.1

but the only change to the gem list is:

rails (0.12.1)
Web-application framework with template engine, control-flow layer,
and ORM.

none of the dependencies have been installed. No warning.

Why?

Patrick

Jim Weirich

I try to install rails (gem) and I do have a set of gems in my current
directory: [...]
none of the dependencies have been installed. No warning.

Currently the RubyGems local installer does not check for dependencies. This
is considered a bug and is on our short list for fixing.

Patrick Gundlach

Hello Jim,
Currently the RubyGems local installer does not check for dependencies. This
is considered a bug and is on our short list for fixing.

Thanks for the answer / clarification.

Patrick