gem on macbook SLOW

Elise Huard

Hello,

i've got a brand new Macbook Pro.
I've got ruby 1.8.6, as well as the usual gems.
However, running gem install, or even rspec (which uses gem) takes a
long time (2 minutes). I've tried debugging, and got as far as
updated = @source_index.update source_uri
in source_info_cache_entry.rb, which seems to take a while (there
might be other slow parts, that's just one of them).
It all works, but for rspec for instance it's quite annoying to have
to wait that long.
I tried profiling but that didn't yield anything that i could parse.

Any ideas or similar experience ?
Thanks,

Elise

Gordon Thiesfeld

Any ideas or similar experience ?
Thanks,

Elise

What version of RubyGems are you running? This behavior has been
improved in the newer versions (post 1.0, I believe).

hth,

Gordon

Aaron Patterson

Hello,

i've got a brand new Macbook Pro.
I've got ruby 1.8.6, as well as the usual gems.
However, running gem install, or even rspec (which uses gem) takes a
long time (2 minutes). I've tried debugging, and got as far as
updated = @source_index.update source_uri
in source_info_cache_entry.rb, which seems to take a while (there
might be other slow parts, that's just one of them).
It all works, but for rspec for instance it's quite annoying to have
to wait that long.
I tried profiling but that didn't yield anything that i could parse.

Any ideas or similar experience ?

Yes. Ruby gems does not use keep alive connections when fetching data
from the remote gem server. I worked with Eric to fix gems to use keep
alive connections and it was about 10x faster (IIRC).

http://rubygems.rubyforge.org/svn/trunk/lib/rubygems/remote_fetcher.rb

You should see a huge speed improvement on the next release of Rubygems.

Chris Shea

Hello,

i've got a brand new Macbook Pro.
I've got ruby 1.8.6, as well as the usual gems.
However, running gem install, or even rspec (which uses gem) takes a
long time (2 minutes). I've tried debugging, and got as far as
updated = @source_index.update source_uri
in source_info_cache_entry.rb, which seems to take a while (there
might be other slow parts, that's just one of them).
It all works, but for rspec for instance it's quite annoying to have
to wait that long.
I tried profiling but that didn't yield anything that i could parse.

Any ideas or similar experience ?
Thanks,

Elise

You might want to check out this thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_thread/thread/4fc65cdd3afbad00

I had the same problem, but only after updating to Leopard. In that
thread I mention changing my DNS servers, but I've dropped that part
of the solution. Basically, what I did was disable IPv6 (System
Preferences -> Network -> Advanced -> TCP/IP -> Configure IPv6) and
add "require 'resolv-replace'" to my copy of gem at /usr/local/bin/gem
(of course, that goes away after gem update --system).

HTH,
Chris

Elise Huard

You might want to check out this thread:http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_thread/thread/4f...

I had the same problem, but only after updating to Leopard. In that
thread I mention changing my DNS servers, but I've dropped that part
of the solution. Basically, what I did was disable IPv6 (System
Preferences -> Network -> Advanced -> TCP/IP -> Configure IPv6) and
add "require 'resolv-replace'" to my copy of gem at /usr/local/bin/gem
(of course, that goes away after gem update --system).

HTH,
Chris

Thanks ! I'll try that tonight. Failing that, i'll check the
version, and upgrade if dated.
Best Regards,

Elise

James Tucker

Thanks ! I'll try that tonight. Failing that, i'll check the
version, and upgrade if dated.
Best Regards,

Elise

Also, I have noticed that gem installs run significantly faster from a
machine in the western hemisphere (inside anywhere in the US).

Is there a need for more EU mirrors presently? Are the mirrors geo-
distributing correctly?