    which would run apt-get install on the :apt_get_dependency.

    Thoughts?
    -=r

    Roger Pack, Jan 24, 2009

  2. Roger Pack

    badboy Guest

    Roger Pack schrieb:
    > I noticed how convenient it is to use debgem, I am wondering if it would
    > be useful to be able to optionally specify "apt get style" dependencies,
    > per gem.
    >
    > a la
    > specification[:apt_get_dependency] = 'some_package'
    >
    > then you could install things like rmagick something like
    > gem install rmagick --install_apt_dependencies
    > or
    > gem install rmagick --install_yum_dependencies
    >
    > which would run apt-get install on the :apt_get_dependency.
    >
    > Thoughts?
    > -=r

    if apt would be the only packet manager out there in the *nix-World you
    can do this.
    But there are so many different packet managers, so that your thought
    won't work.
    It's simply too much work

    badboy, Jan 24, 2009

  3. Roger Pack

    Roger Pack Guest

    > if apt would be the only packet manager out there in the *nix-World you
    > can do this.
    > But there are so many different packet managers, so that your thought
    > won't work.
    > It's simply too much work

    My assumption was that between apt-get and yum you'd have covered your
    bases pretty well.
    If that's not the case I suppose you could specify an install command, a
    la

    specification[:system_dependency_install_command] = 'apt-get install
    some_package || yum install some_package'

    then run something like

    gem install rmagick --with_system_dependencies

    or what not.
    Thoughts?
    -=r

    Roger Pack, Jan 24, 2009
  4. Roger Pack

    badboy Guest

    Roger Pack schrieb:
    >> if apt would be the only packet manager out there in the *nix-World you
    >> can do this.
    >> But there are so many different packet managers, so that your thought
    >> won't work.
    >> It's simply too much work

    > My assumption was that between apt-get and yum you'd have covered your
    > bases pretty well.
    > If that's not the case I suppose you could specify an install command, a
    > la
    >
    > specification[:system_dependency_install_command] = 'apt-get install
    > some_package || yum install some_package'
    >
    > then run something like
    >
    > gem install rmagick --with_system_dependencies
    >
    > or what not.
    > Thoughts?
    > -=r

    but that would mean gem must know about your installed packet manager
    and its syntax.

    badboy, Jan 24, 2009

    --
    Technical Blaag at: http://blog.majesticseacreature.com