gem update hangs (yaml slow on big dataset)

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Andrew Roth, May 3, 2007.

  1. Andrew Roth

    Andrew Roth Guest

    Hi all,

    I am having a heck of a time trying to get gems working on a ubuntu
    system. I get exactly what is described at http://rubygems.org/read/chapter/19#page96

    I have a problem with RubyGems. It doesn't matter what I try to
    install with, it freezez.
    Particulary I tried to execute:
    gem install rails --include-dependencies
    but the command freezez at the following message:
    "Updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org"

    And much to my chagrin, the answer is

    [I lost my internet connection while composing the answer to this
    question. Unfortunately, I now no longer recall what I intended to
    write. The answer (or at least part of the answer) is buried deep in
    the RubyGems mail archive. I'll try to update this after a bit of
    research. Sorry for leaving this question hanging.]

    So I did some work myself and modified a bit of the gem code (yay for
    open source) to get it working for me.. results at

    http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=10550&group_id=126&atid=575

    in case anyone else has this problem

    -Andrew Roth

    Andrew Roth, May 3, 2007