gem update results in multiple versions

davetron5000

Working on some code I wish to distribute via gem. When I up the
version and do a gem update my-code, gem reports that both the
previous version and the new version are installed. This doesn't seem
to occur with any other gems that I have. I cannot seem to figure out
what's up with this.

Here's my gemspec:

spec = Gem::Specification.new do |s|
s.name = "My Proggy"
s.version = "0.5.3"
s.author = "David Copeland"
s.email = "(e-mail address removed)"
s.homepage = "http://www.mystuff.com"
s.platform = Gem::platform::RUBY
s.summary = "Some description"
s.files = FileList["{bin,lib}/**/*"].to_a
s.require_path = "lib"
s.test_files = FileList["{test}/**/test*.rb"].to_a
s.bindir = "bin"
s.executables << "cl"
s.has_rdoc = true
s.rdoc_options << '--title' << 'Titlet' << '--main' << 'README.rdoc'
s.extra_rdoc_files = ["README.rdoc"]
end

When I changed from "0.5.3" to "0.5.4", gem just installed it
alongside the old version. Is there a way to tell it not to do that?

This happened installing the gem from a local .gem file AND from a
remote repository.

Stefan Lang

2008/11/3 davetron5000 said:
Working on some code I wish to distribute via gem. When I up the
version and do a gem update my-code, gem reports that both the
previous version and the new version are installed. This doesn't seem
to occur with any other gems that I have. I cannot seem to figure out
what's up with this.

It's normal behaviour. It doesn't hurt, since RubyGems
loads the newest version anyway when no specific version
is specified. And the old gem is still there in case another
gem depends on this specific version.

You can uninstall the old version with:

gem uninstall gem-name -v some.version.number

Stefan