"gem update --system" breaks under a non-standard prefix

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Jeremy Henty, Mar 15, 2007.

  1. Jeremy Henty

    Jeremy Henty Guest

    It appears that if you install rubygems under a non-standard prefix
    then "gem update --system" breaks.

    I have rubygems installed as a non-privileged user. Everything works
    fine with GEM_HOME and RUBYLIB set properly in the environment. But,
    when I try to upgrade rubygems from 0.9.1 -> 0.9.2 , "gem update
    --system" fails.

    [...]
    setup.rb:515:in `initialize': Permission denied - /usr/bin/gem (Errno::EACCES)

    Running "update_rubygems" manually doesn't fair any better.

    $ update_rubygems
    Error: Cannot find RubyGems Update Path!

    RubyGems has already been updated.
    The rubygems-update gem may now be uninstalled.
    E.g. gem uninstall rubygems-update

    Eventually I found a successful workaround...

    cd $GEM_HOME/gems/rubygems-update-*/ &&
    ruby setup.rb all --prefix=$GEM_PREFIX

    ....where $GEM_PREFIX is the prefix I installed rubygems to. I'm glad
    that it worked, but surely it should be easier than this? It would be
    nice if "gem update --system" accepted --prefix=$GEM_PREFIX , but as
    far as I can tell it does not.

    Regards,

    Jeremy Henty

    Jeremy Henty, Mar 15, 2007

  2. Jeremy Henty

    Eric Hodel Guest

    On Mar 15, 2007, at 15:50, Jeremy Henty wrote:

    > It appears that if you install rubygems under a non-standard prefix
    > then "gem update --system" breaks.
    >
    > [... bug report ...]

    Did you file a bug in the tracker? I guarantee your bug report will
    get lost if you don't.

    Eric Hodel, Mar 18, 2007

  3. Jeremy Henty

    Jeremy Henty Guest

    On 2007-03-18, Eric Hodel <> wrote:
    > On Mar 15, 2007, at 15:50, Jeremy Henty wrote:
    >
    >> It appears that if you install rubygems under a non-standard prefix
    >> then "gem update --system" breaks.
    >>
    >> [... bug report ...]

    > Did you file a bug in the tracker?

    Would that be the tracker that is conspicuously *not* linked to
    anywhere on the front page of the RubyGems web site, thereby
    encouraging visitors to conclude it does not exist? :-(

    OK, it's done. (And also a bug about the web site not linking to the
    tracker.)

    Regards,

    Jeremy Henty

    Jeremy Henty, Mar 18, 2007
  4. On Sunday 18 March 2007, Jeremy Henty wrote:
    > On 2007-03-18, Eric Hodel <> wrote:
    > > On Mar 15, 2007, at 15:50, Jeremy Henty wrote:
    > >> It appears that if you install rubygems under a non-standard prefix
    > >> then "gem update --system" breaks.
    > >>
    > >> [... bug report ...]

    > > Did you file a bug in the tracker?

    > Would that be the tracker that is conspicuously *not* linked to
    > anywhere on the front page of the RubyGems web site, thereby
    > encouraging visitors to conclude it does not exist? :-(
    >
    > OK, it's done. (And also a bug about the web site not linking to the
    > tracker.)

    It's better to check if the problem has already been reported before ...

    http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&aid=8470&group_id=126&atid=575
    --
    Sylvain Joyeux

    Sylvain Joyeux, Mar 18, 2007
  5. Jeremy Henty

    Jeremy Henty Guest

    Jeremy Henty, Mar 18, 2007
  6. Jeremy Henty

    Eric Hodel Guest

    On Mar 18, 2007, at 04:45, Jeremy Henty wrote:
    > On 2007-03-18, Eric Hodel <> wrote:
    >> On Mar 15, 2007, at 15:50, Jeremy Henty wrote:
    >>
    >>> It appears that if you install rubygems under a non-standard prefix
    >>> then "gem update --system" breaks.
    >>>
    >>> [... bug report ...]

    >> Did you file a bug in the tracker?

    > Would that be the tracker that is conspicuously *not* linked to
    > anywhere on the front page of the RubyGems web site, thereby
    > encouraging visitors to conclude it does not exist? :-(

    :(

    > OK, it's done. (And also a bug about the web site not linking to the
    > tracker.)

    Awesome, thanks.

    Eric Hodel, Mar 20, 2007