"gem update --system" breaks under a non-standard prefix

Jeremy Henty

It appears that if you install rubygems under a non-standard prefix
then "gem update --system" breaks.

I have rubygems installed as a non-privileged user. Everything works
fine with GEM_HOME and RUBYLIB set properly in the environment. But,
when I try to upgrade rubygems from 0.9.1 -> 0.9.2 , "gem update
--system" fails.

[...]
setup.rb:515:in `initialize': Permission denied - /usr/bin/gem (Errno::EACCES)

Running "update_rubygems" manually doesn't fair any better.

$ update_rubygems
Error: Cannot find RubyGems Update Path!

RubyGems has already been updated.
The rubygems-update gem may now be uninstalled.
E.g. gem uninstall rubygems-update

Eventually I found a successful workaround...

cd $GEM_HOME/gems/rubygems-update-*/ &&
ruby setup.rb all --prefix=$GEM_PREFIX

....where $GEM_PREFIX is the prefix I installed rubygems to. I'm glad
that it worked, but surely it should be easier than this? It would be
nice if "gem update --system" accepted --prefix=$GEM_PREFIX , but as
far as I can tell it does not.

Regards,

Jeremy Henty

Eric Hodel

It appears that if you install rubygems under a non-standard prefix
then "gem update --system" breaks.

[... bug report ...]

Did you file a bug in the tracker? I guarantee your bug report will
get lost if you don't.

Jeremy Henty

It appears that if you install rubygems under a non-standard prefix
then "gem update --system" breaks.

[... bug report ...]

Did you file a bug in the tracker?

Would that be the tracker that is conspicuously *not* linked to
anywhere on the front page of the RubyGems web site, thereby
encouraging visitors to conclude it does not exist? :-(

OK, it's done. (And also a bug about the web site not linking to the
tracker.)

Regards,

Jeremy Henty

Sylvain Joyeux

It appears that if you install rubygems under a non-standard prefix
then "gem update --system" breaks.

[... bug report ...]

Did you file a bug in the tracker?

Would that be the tracker that is conspicuously *not* linked to
anywhere on the front page of the RubyGems web site, thereby
encouraging visitors to conclude it does not exist? :-(

OK, it's done. (And also a bug about the web site not linking to the
tracker.)
It's better to check if the problem has already been reported before ...

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&aid=8470&group_id=126&atid=575

Eric Hodel

It appears that if you install rubygems under a non-standard prefix
then "gem update --system" breaks.

[... bug report ...]

Did you file a bug in the tracker?

Would that be the tracker that is conspicuously *not* linked to
anywhere on the front page of the RubyGems web site, thereby
encouraging visitors to conclude it does not exist? :-(
:(

OK, it's done. (And also a bug about the web site not linking to the
tracker.)

Awesome, thanks.