"gem update --system" ignores where I installed rubygems

levander

On my Ubuntu Feisty box a few months ago, I installed rubygems 0.9.0 in
/opt/rubygems by:

export GEM_HOME=/opt/rubygems/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
export RUBYLIB=/opt/rubygems/lib/ruby:/opt/rubygems/lib/site_ruby/1.8
sudo ruby setup.rb --prefix=/opt/rubygems

This worked fine for playing with installing a few gems and running some
software that accessed them.

Coming back to play with them today, I ran:

sudo gem update --system

From the output of that command, none of the updated files went into
/opt/rubygems. Most of them went into /usr/local/lib/site_ruby, but it
looks like other files went other places too. gem went right down into
/usr/bin.

1.) I'm thinking I can just read the output of the update command I ran
and delete the files manually that it put everywhere? Is there an
easier, more sure, way?

2.) Also, I've looked on docs.rubygems.org and can't find how to run
this command so that the system update will go into /opt/rubygems?

Jeremy Henty

2.) Also, I've looked on docs.rubygems.org and can't find how to run
this command so that the system update will go into /opt/rubygems?

Known problem, still unfixed AFAICT. See my report and workaround at
<URL:http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=9346&group_id>.
Be warned, that workaround didn't quite work for upgrading to 0.9.4 ,
I had to add a symlink usr -> . in my GEM_PREFIX before it finally put
everything in the right place.

Jeremy Henty

Eric Hodel

[...]

From the output of that command, none of the updated files went into
/opt/rubygems. Most of them went into /usr/local/lib/site_ruby,
but it
looks like other files went other places too. gem went right down
into
/usr/bin.

[...]

This really isn't the best place to report bugs in RubyGems since the
developers don't often read this list. Filing a bug in the bug
tracker is the best place to report a bug. Sending an email to the
RubyGems developers list is the second best.

Jeremy Henty

Eric Hodel

*cough*

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?
func=detail&aid=8470&group_id=126&atid=575

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?
func=detail&aid=9346&group_id=126&atid=575

Submitted in February and March respectively. Both still unassigned.

Par for the course for an all-volunteer project.

Bugs get fixed fastest when the party most-interested in the fix
writes the fix. (The primary developers can sometimes be bribed, but
sometimes they have other things to do.)