gems install - sans docs?

Tom Allison

Something can't be right....

notebook:~# gem install calendar_grid
Install required dependency activesupport? [Yn] Y
Successfully installed calendar_grid-1.0.2
Successfully installed activesupport-1.3.1
Installing ri documentation for calendar_grid-1.0.2...
Installing ri documentation for activesupport-1.3.1...
Installing RDoc documentation for calendar_grid-1.0.2...
Installing RDoc documentation for activesupport-1.3.1...

ri CalendarGrid returns nothing. So where would the docs be?

Eric Hodel

Something can't be right....

notebook:~# gem install calendar_grid
Install required dependency activesupport? [Yn] Y
Successfully installed calendar_grid-1.0.2
Successfully installed activesupport-1.3.1
Installing ri documentation for calendar_grid-1.0.2...
Installing ri documentation for activesupport-1.3.1...
Installing RDoc documentation for calendar_grid-1.0.2...
Installing RDoc documentation for activesupport-1.3.1...

ri CalendarGrid returns nothing. So where would the docs be?

Use gemri unless you have 1.8.5p1 or newer installed.

Tom Allison

Eric said:
Something can't be right....

notebook:~# gem install calendar_grid
Install required dependency activesupport? [Yn] Y
Successfully installed calendar_grid-1.0.2
Successfully installed activesupport-1.3.1
Installing ri documentation for calendar_grid-1.0.2...
Installing ri documentation for activesupport-1.3.1...
Installing RDoc documentation for calendar_grid-1.0.2...
Installing RDoc documentation for activesupport-1.3.1...

ri CalendarGrid returns nothing. So where would the docs be?

Use gemri unless you have 1.8.5p1 or newer installed.

That was very helpful. Thank you.
The docs are "thin" but present.

New Problem:

irb can't see it.

require 'calendar_grid'
returns
LoadError: no such file to load -- calendar_grid
from (irb):3:in `require'
from (irb):3
from :0

So this kind of sucks. I made the assumption that it would just work.
I'll assume there is some path that's fuggered up. I'll think about
fixing it later, it's an annoyance. But the other question that came up
while I was staring at this is:
if I install 'calendar_grid' then how am I supposed to know that the
object name is 'CalendarGrid' and how do you keep the two in your head
for the 100's of objects?
I found it by reading the source file of the gem I installed.

Chad Fowler

Eric said:
[...]

Try adding:

require 'rubygems'