Gems installed to $HOME not recognized

Albert Schlef

I'm using Ruby 1.9, Ubuntu (I don't have the following problem with my
Ruby 1.8).

For some reason, Ruby 1.9 doesn't see gems I install to $HOME. It only
sees gems I install as root.

In other words, if I do the following...

$ gem1.9.1 install haml

...the gem gets installed in ~/.gem/ruby/1.9.1/gems/haml-2.2.22, and
when I do 'require "haml"' ruby says there's no such file to load.

On the other hand, when I do....

$ sudo gem1.9.1 install haml

...the gem gets installed in /var/lib/gems/1.9.1/gems/haml-2.2.22, and
doing 'require "haml"' works.

I temporarily solved the problem by symlinking /var/lib/gems/1.9.1 to
~/.gem/ruby/1.9.1.

My question:

How can i make Ruby 1.9 see the gems installed at ~/.gem/ruby/1.9.1 ?

Andrew Theaker

I found that it was a lot of hassle trying to get Ruby1.9 setup on Ubuntu,
particularly if you wanted to switch between 1.8 and 1.9.

Then I found rvm http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/ which has made the whole
process very easy to manage. I removed all my ruby packages except for 1.8
and gems then followed the installation instructions for rvm using the gem
method.

Hope it helps you!

Jesper Fruergaard Andersen

I had the same problem on Ubuntu 9.10. Setting the environment
variable GEM_HOME to the location of my gems seems to work.

I'm using Ruby 1.9, Ubuntu (I don't have the following problem with my
Ruby 1.8).

For some reason, Ruby 1.9 doesn't see gems I install to $HOME. It only
sees gems I install as root.

In other words, if I do the following...

=A0$ gem1.9.1 install haml

...the gem gets installed in ~/.gem/ruby/1.9.1/gems/haml-2.2.22, and
when I do 'require "haml"' ruby says there's no such file to load.

On the other hand, when I do....

=A0$ sudo gem1.9.1 install haml

...the gem gets installed in /var/lib/gems/1.9.1/gems/haml-2.2.22, and
doing 'require "haml"' works.

I temporarily solved the problem by symlinking /var/lib/gems/1.9.1 to
~/.gem/ruby/1.9.1.

My question:

How can i make Ruby 1.9 see the gems installed at ~/.gem/ruby/1.9.1 ?

--=20
Jesper