General Enquiry on Privacy Policy

Hermit Dave

Hi,

Depending upon their security settings some users can not login due to their
machine's Privacy Settings some how blocking the cookie (no privacy policy
available)... which is encrypted...
what i would like is someone to tell me how to set privacy policy for the
cookie.. i know its probably not related to asp.net but googling didnt help
much.. even on msdn wasnt helpful much... maybe i was searching with the
wrong keywords...
any help would be greatly appreaciated...

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Hermit,

Thank you for using MSDN Newsgroup! My name is Steven, and I'll be
assisting you on this issue.
From your description, you're looking for some information on how to set
privacy policy for the
cookie on a client machine ?

Based on my research, the clientside's cookie privacy policy setting are
mostly generated by the browser. If you're using Microsoft Internet
Explorer, you could change the setting in the IE's security setting panel.
And here are some tech ariticles on how to set the security policy in IE
including the cookie privacy setting:

#How to Set and Customize Cookies Settings in Internet Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=196955

# Internet Explorer Security Zones
http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4155-1950186,00.html

Hope they will be helpful. Also, if you feel them not quite suitable for
your situation, please feel free to let me know more info on your
requirement and I'll be willing to assist you.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Hermit,

Thank you for the response. Regarding on the issue, I am
finding proper resource to assist you and we will update as soon as posible.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security(This posting is provided "AS IS",
with no warranties, and confers no rights.)

Mike Moore [MSFT]

Hi Hermit,

Please pardon the delay in answering your question. We are still
researching and will post more information as soon as we can.

Thank you, Mike
Microsoft, ASP.NET Support Professional

--------------------
From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 07:14:52 GMT
Subject: Re: General Enquiry on Privacy Policy
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

Hi Hermit,

Thank you for the response. Regarding on the issue, I am
finding proper resource to assist you and we will update as soon as posible.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security(This posting is provided "AS IS",
with no warranties, and confers no rights.)

Hermit Dave

Mike,

I am thankful to you and Steven for helping me out often. Pardon me for the
string of unusual questions.
Take your time.

--
Regards,
HD

Once a Geek.... Always a Geek
"Mike Moore [MSFT]" said:
Hi Hermit,

Please pardon the delay in answering your question. We are still
researching and will post more information as soon as we can.

Thank you, Mike
Microsoft, ASP.NET Support Professional

http://www.microsoft.com/protect site and perform the three
straightforward
steps listed to improve your computer's security.

From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 07:14:52 GMT
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

Hi Hermit,

Thank you for the response. Regarding on the issue, I am
finding proper resource to assist you and we will update as soon as posible.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security(This posting is provided "AS IS",
with no warranties, and confers no rights.)

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Hermit,

Based on my further research, we need to create privacy policy for a site
and configure the IIS servrer only when need to impelment some certain
functions of the cookie operations. For example, if we want our site to
support Platform for Privacy Preferences(P3P), when we'd have to configure
the IIS server (including create the full privacy policy, policy reference,
and compact codes). So I'm not sure whether your server need such
configurations. And here is a KB article on
#HOW TO: Configure IIS To Use Platform for Privacy Preferences (P3P)
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324013

Also, there has the weblinks to some other web reference such as on
"how to create the full privacy policy, policy reference, and compact codes"
http://www.w3.org/P3P

and "information about full privacy policy, policy reference, and compact
codes"
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/security/privacy
/overview/createprivacypolicy.asp

Please check out the proceding items to see whether they're helpful. If you
need any further help, please feel free to post here.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Hermit,

I havent' heard from you. Have you had a chance to check out the infos I
provided in the former replies or have you got any progress on this issue?
If you have any questions or need any further assistance, please feel free
to let me know.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Hermit Dave

Steven,
I received an email from you a few hours back, but unfortuantely the new
post isn't on just yet.
I will update you once i have get to read it and give it a try,

Thanks a lot once again

--
Regards,
HD

From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 07:14:52 GMT
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

Hi Hermit,

Thank you for the response. Regarding on the issue, I am
finding proper resource to assist you and we will update as soon as posible.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security(This posting is provided "AS IS",
with no warranties, and confers no rights.)

Hermit Dave

Steven,

Thank you for both the posts.
Answering this one first:
The reason that site was in blocked list was because i set IE's privacy
settings to High.
If i were to change it to medium high or medium then it just works fine.

My feeling is that its due to serverside's privacy policy. Let me finish
with the second post and check the links, I will answer it in just a moment

Hermit Dave

Steven,

That was exactly the information i was looking for.
What i needed to know, was the extent to which, i would have a control over
cookies, and whether i could have a better control to make sure that the
cookie is not blocked because of Privacy Settings being High on clients
browser.
I do understand how to set a privacy policy now.
I do appreciate the help, thank you

Hermit Dave

Steven,

I have check the information, I have also email feedback to msdn support and
i have cc'd the email to you as well.
Thank you.