General Network Error - MS Stumped

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Joe Ross, Feb 26, 2004.

  1. Joe Ross

    Joe Ross Guest

    I've been working with Microsoft support for over 3 weeks now on an
    intermittent General Network Error we're seeing in our production
    environment between our ASP.NET application and SQL Server 2000. They are
    continuing to work on the issue, but it seems as if our progress is grinding
    to a halt. I asked this question on the newsgroups before going to MS but
    figured I'd give it another shot now that I have more information.

    The problem occurs intermittently (maybe 10 to 15 times per day). It seems
    to be related to queries that return "large" amounts of data from SQL. The
    problem started after we made an equipment change. We went from a single
    server hosting both our ASP.NET application and SQL Server 2000, to one
    server hosting IIS and another machine running SQL. An example of the
    exception thrown appears at the bottom of this post.

    MS had us perform 3 data captures initially: MPSRPT_MDAC on the IIS machine,
    MPSRPT_MDAC on the SQL machine, and SQLDIAG on the database server. The MS
    rep found nothing too out of the ordinary with our configuration, so he
    asked me to do a network capture on both machines while the error occurred.

    I was able to get a good capture in a small window and sent it off to MS.
    The verdict is that IIS is basically halting the request. It is resetting
    the database connection partway through retrieving the results of the stored
    proc. IIS attempts to close the connection for some reason, SQL ignores and
    keeps pumping back data, then IIS raises a reset. MS confirmed that there
    is no packet loss. MS has not determined why this is happening and has not
    advised me to capture any additional data.

    If someone has any ideas, I am willing to provide as much detail as
    possible. I wanted to keep this initial post as concise as possible.

    Thanks for any assistance you can provide,
    -joe

    EXCEPTION:
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: General network error. Check your
    network documentation.
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception,
    TdsParserState state)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException
    exception, TdsParserState state)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning()
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ReadNetlib(Int32 bytesExpected)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ReadBuffer()
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ReadByteArray(Byte[] buff, Int32
    offset, Int32 len)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ReadEncodingChar(Int32 length,
    Encoding encoding)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ReadSqlValue(_SqlMetaData md, Int32
    length)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ProcessRow(_SqlMetaData[] columns,
    Object[] buffer, Int32[] map, Boolean useSQLTypes)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.PrepareSQLRecord(Int32 i)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.GetSqlString(Int32 i)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.GetString(Int32 i)

    Joe Ross, Feb 26, 2004

  2. Have you eliminated hardware or installed software issues by trying to run
    this on a different pair of machines?

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Feb 26, 2004

  3. Joe Ross

    Joe Ross Guest

    Unforunately, we're a small company and don't have the "luxury" of
    duplicating the environment. However, there is plenty of horsepower there
    to meet our needs. The web server is a Dell PowerEdge 1750 and the database
    server is a Dell PowerEdge 2650 hooked into a PowerVault 220. Usage is
    quite light.

    I would love to be able to do what you say and I appreciate the value it
    would bring to solving the problem, unfortunately, it's not realistic for us
    at this time.

    Thanks
    -joe

    Joe Ross, Feb 26, 2004
  4. If it does turn out to be a hardware or installed software issue, I believe
    you will have spent more than the cost of 2 machines in salaries trying to
    find it.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Feb 27, 2004
  5. Joe Ross

    Joe Ross Guest

    I respectfully disagree. Thank you for your overly helpful advice.

    Joe Ross, Feb 27, 2004
  6. > I respectfully disagree. Thank you for your overly helpful advice.

    You stated originally that you had already spent 3 weeks on this problem
    without a resolution. I don't know what your salaries are like, but 3 weeks
    is a lot of man-hours, and Microsoft support is expensive. Maybe you should
    disagree later, when and if you get it fixed.

    Thank you for your overly defensive reply.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Feb 27, 2004
  7. Joe -

    At the risk of being 'overly' helpful, I would suggest that you may be
    making too many assumptions about the operational data, for example the MS
    assertion that no packets are being lost. The monitoring tools are not
    infallible and they may in fact be wrong ( it even happened to me once long
    ago ;-).

    It sounds like MS is looking primarily at configuration data and not
    performance data. Interaction under load between IIS and .NET may be
    creating contention for resources or devices. If the queries are returning
    'large' amounts of data, then the workload is not light, it's heavy and
    there may well be a performance bottleneck in the server or network. It
    could even be caused by a bad driver for a network device. Find every error
    log and run every monitor on the system. There may be a lower level problem
    within the apparent problem.

    I'd also look very closely at application level performance, particularly
    the heavy hitters, to see if you can reduce sudden bursts of demand. If the
    heavy hitters are not critical, slow them down and spread out the demand.
    If your delivery date is in extreme unction, you may even need to redesign
    the queries to work around it.

    In any case, I think you may need to fully instrument your server, collect
    all the configuration and operation data available and do a more complete
    analysis of your system. I've run across problems with complex interactions
    in the past and a strictly analytic approach was the only way out.

    For what it's worth ....

    - Bill Breitmayer

    Bill Breitmayer, Feb 28, 2004
  8. Joe Ross

    Joe Ross Guest

    Bill-

    I appreciate you taking the time to make such a detailed response. We are
    going to take your advice and look at better instrumenting our application
    to collect more meaningful data. We've realized that although we'll keep
    working with MS on the issue, the solution will probably come from within.

    I'll respond back to these groups when we make progress.

    Thanks
    -joe

    Joe Ross, Mar 1, 2004