General Nokogiri problem

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Srijayanth Sridhar, May 7, 2009.

    Hello,

    On several sites(probably malformed HTML/JavaScript/XML/general parsing
    hell) I have the following problem.

    For ex:

    moonwolf@trantor:~/ruby$ irb
    irb(main):001:0> ['rubygems','nokogiri','hpricot','open-uri'].each { |r|
    require r }
    => ["rubygems", "nokogiri", "hpricot", "open-uri"]
    irb(main):002:0> doc=Nokogiri(open("http://maps.google.com/"))
    => <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <!DOCTYPE html>

    irb(main):003:0> doc/"a"
    =>

    Same with Nokogiri.Hpricot:

    irb(main):004:0> doc=Nokogiri.Hpricot(open("http://maps.google.com/"))
    => <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <!DOCTYPE html>

    However with regular Hpricot:

    irb(main):009:0> (Hpricot(open("http://maps.google.com/"))/"a").size
    => 53
    (the full post of course is too long, so just showed something simpler)

    Hpricot by itself of course works. I tried looking and there's not much by
    way of documentation or blogs on something like this.

    Any suggestions/explanations will be welcome as I like Nokogiri's speed very
    much.

    I am using:

    moonwolf@trantor:~/ruby$ gem list --local | grep -i nokogiri
    nokogiri (1.2.3)