    wonder how I can do this?

    thanks,
    Kris

    Kris, Feb 23, 2005

  2. Kris

    Spartanicus Guest

    "Kris" <> wrote:

    >I've got an avi movieclip (about 8 mb) and I'm wondering what would be the
    >best way of putting it online?

    Make sure that it uses a compression scheme suitable for the web.

    Avi is a wrapper format that can contain pretty much any known video and
    audio compression format. This creates a problem since the client system
    needs to know in advance if it has the required software to play it. If
    the avi uses DivX or XviD compression then there's another problem:
    players like MS MediaPlayer do not on demand install codecs
    as they do for other compression schemes.

    Consequently you might be better of converting the (uncompressed) source
    to Windows Media format, and then add a second media file using non
    proprietary audio and video compressors (for example XviD for the video
    and Ogg Vorbis audio) for the benefit of those that cannot play Windows
    Media.

    If you do that you can use the widely recognized Windows Media
    redirector formats, for most people the right player will start, and if
    the required codec level isn't installed on the client system it will be
    automatically fetched from MS and installed.

    >Sure I can make a link to the file and let people open or save it, but
    >wouldn't it be better to stream it?

    Streaming using redirector files:
    http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/streaming.htm

    --