    into a series HTML web pages for presentation? Or would I need to write a
    custom program for that kind of thing?

    Thanks

    Grant Robertson, May 27, 2007

  2. In article <>,
    Grant Robertson <> wrote:

    >Can an XML Stylesheet Language Transform take data that is spread out in
    >multiple different XML files and not necessarily in proper order,
    >rearrange that data into it's proper order and then compile all of that
    >into a series HTML web pages for presentation?

    Probably. Reading from multiple files is supported with the
    document() function. Writing multiple files in XSLT 1.0 requires an
    extension of some kind, such as <exsl:document> (see
    http://www.exslt.org/); slternatively you could write a single
    document and split it up somehow afterwards.

    -- Richard
    in some alphabets" - X3.4, 1963.

    Richard Tobin, May 27, 2007

  3. Grant Robertson wrote:
    > Can an XML Stylesheet Language Transform take data that is spread out in
    > multiple different XML files and not necessarily in proper order,
    > rearrange that data into it's proper order and then compile all of that
    > into a series HTML web pages for presentation? Or would I need to write a
    > custom program for that kind of thing?

    XSLT 2.0 can do both, read from multiple files using the document function
    <http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/#document>
    and create multiple result files using the xsl:result-document instruction
    <http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/#creating-result-trees>
    Saxon 8 <http://www.saxonica.com> is an XSLT 2.0 processor available for
    Java and for the Microsoft .NET framework.

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

    Martin Honnen, May 27, 2007
  4. Grant Robertson wrote:
    > Can an XML Stylesheet Language Transform take data that is spread out in
    > multiple different XML files and not necessarily in proper order,
    > rearrange that data into it's proper order and then compile all of that
    > into a series HTML web pages for presentation? Or would I need to write a
    > custom program for that kind of thing?

    Use the document() function to fetch their contents.

    Reordering and so on is built into XSLT.

    Multiple outputs is the tricky part. Basic XSLT 1.0 doesn't do that, but
    you could achieve this by running several stylesheets (or one stylesheet
    with different parameters each time). The EXSLT extension library, which
    many-but-not-all XSLT processors support, adds the ability to "redirect"
    output to additional documents and would let you do this in a single
    stylesheet execution. XSLT 2.0 adds this capability as a standard part
    of the language.

    Joe Kesselman, May 27, 2007
  5. In article <46596967$0$6392$-online.net>,
    says...
    > XSLT 2.0 can do both, read from multiple files using the document function
    > <http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/#document>
    > and create multiple result files using the xsl:result-document instruction
    > <http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/#creating-result-trees>
    > Saxon 8 <http://www.saxonica.com> is an XSLT 2.0 processor available for
    > Java and for the Microsoft .NET framework.

    Awesome! All I need to know for now is if it is possible. Now I know
    where to focus my energies when the time comes.

    Thanks to everyone who responded so quickly.

    Grant Robertson, May 27, 2007