General question - URL length limit

Kamyk

Hello all!

I have general question. Does the URL address has length limit of the
passing data?

Thank you for answers
Marcin from Poland

Nick Theodorakis

Hello all!

I have general question. Does the URL address has length limit of the
passing data?

Short answer: no.

Long answer: yes.

I don't think there is anything in the HTTP spec that limits it, but
there are practical considerations that may limit the length of a uri
in real life. For example, the browser may not be able to use a url
longer than a certain length, or the server may choose to reject a
request for URLs that are too long.

Nick

Nick

Richard

Hello all!

I have general question. Does the URL address has length limit of the
passing data?

Thank you for answers
Marcin from Poland

To the left of the dot is a limit of 67 characters.
To the right of the dot after the tld, there is virtually no limit other
than what the system can handle.

Toby Inkster

Nick said:
Short answer: no.
Long answer: yes.

Ignore Richard -- Nick is right.

I'll add further, that if you stick to URLs under 1000 characters, you
ought to be safe in virtually all situations.

SpaceGirl

Richard said:
To the left of the dot is a limit of 67 characters.
To the right of the dot after the tld, there is virtually no limit other
than what the system can handle.

Not really sure if that's what the OP asked, but you areright I think.
The max length for a NAME is 64 characters + extensions. However you
could stick another 64 character subdomain in front of it. There are
some limits to what can then be put after the name, depending on the
browser. A safe number is 2Kb (2048 characters). IE 5 or above, Netscape
and Mozilla can all handle that. Actually I think Mozilla is only
limited by your systems string size, so, either 16kb or 32kb or
something, which is HUGE.

So:

64.64.ext/2048