    passing data?

    Thank you for answers
    Marcin from Poland

    Kamyk, Mar 8, 2005

  2. On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 21:45:42 +0100, "Kamyk"
    <> wrote:

    >Hello all!
    >
    >I have general question. Does the URL address has length limit of the
    >passing data?

    Short answer: no.

    Long answer: yes.

    I don't think there is anything in the HTTP spec that limits it, but
    there are practical considerations that may limit the length of a uri
    in real life. For example, the browser may not be able to use a url
    longer than a certain length, or the server may choose to reject a
    request for URLs that are too long.

    Nick

    Nick

    --
    Nick Theodorakis

    contact form:
    http://theodorakis.net/contact.html

    Nick Theodorakis, Mar 9, 2005

  3. Kamyk

    Richard Guest

    On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 21:45:42 +0100 Kamyk wrote:

    > Hello all!
    >
    > I have general question. Does the URL address has length limit of the
    > passing data?
    >
    > Thank you for answers
    > Marcin from Poland

    To the left of the dot is a limit of 67 characters.
    To the right of the dot after the tld, there is virtually no limit other
    than what the system can handle.

    Richard, Mar 9, 2005
  4. Kamyk

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Nick Theodorakis wrote:
    > Kamyk wrote:
    >
    >> I have general question. Does the URL address has length limit of the
    >> passing data?

    > Short answer: no.
    > Long answer: yes.

    Ignore Richard -- Nick is right.

    I'll add further, that if you stick to URLs under 1000 characters, you
    ought to be safe in virtually all situations.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Mar 9, 2005
  5. Kamyk

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 21:45:42 +0100 Kamyk wrote:
    >

    >>Hello all!
    >>
    >>I have general question. Does the URL address has length limit of the
    >>passing data?
    >>
    >>Thank you for answers
    >>Marcin from Poland
    >>

    > To the left of the dot is a limit of 67 characters.
    > To the right of the dot after the tld, there is virtually no limit other
    > than what the system can handle.

    Not really sure if that's what the OP asked, but you areright I think.
    The max length for a NAME is 64 characters + extensions. However you
    could stick another 64 character subdomain in front of it. There are
    some limits to what can then be put after the name, depending on the
    browser. A safe number is 2Kb (2048 characters). IE 5 or above, Netscape
    and Mozilla can all handle that. Actually I think Mozilla is only
    limited by your systems string size, so, either 16kb or 32kb or
    something, which is HUGE.

    So:

    64.64.ext/2048

    SpaceGirl, Mar 9, 2005