    I am new to XML and want to create a project viewer using XML, ASP and XHTML. I have an idea of how this should work but would really appritiate any help someone can offer. Is it possible to take an XML file and generate it in ASP without using an XSLT file??

    Help me please

    Thanks...
    Tim:., Apr 2, 2004

  2. Tim:. wrote:

    > Can someone tell me how I generate a new XML file that I can then use
    > with an XSLT file. I am trying to use an XML file generated from
    > Microsoft Project or even better generate an XML file from the
    > project file (MPP File) itself. Which I can then use with an XSLT
    > file.
    >
    > I am new to XML and want to create a project viewer using XML, ASP
    > and XHTML. I have an idea of how this should work but would really
    > appritiate any help someone can offer. Is it possible to take an XML
    > file and generate it in ASP without using an XSLT file???

    If you want to create an XML document in memory you can use the DOM,
    MSXML is the component that supports that, if you want to do it a lot
    you might want to download MSXML 4 from msdn.microsoft.com, it comes
    with an SDK documentation.
    Here is an example ASP page that creates a DOM document with a root
    element <riders> and two child <rider> elements and then outputs it to
    the browser by transforming it to HTML:

    <%@ Language="VBScript" %>
    <%
    Option Explicit
    Dim XmlDocument, XmlElement, XslDocument
    Set XmlDocument = Server.CreateObject("Msxml2.DOMDocument.4.0")
    XmlDocument.AppendChild(xmlDocument.CreateElement("riders"))
    Set XmlElement = XmlDocument.CreateElement("rider")
    XmlElement.AppendChild(XmlDocument.CreateTextNode("Armstrong"))
    XmlDocument.DocumentElement.AppendChild(XmlElement)
    Set XmlElement = XmlDocument.CreateElement("rider")
    XmlElement.AppendChild(XmlDocument.CreateTextNode("Ullrich"))
    XmlDocument.DocumentElement.AppendChild(XmlElement)

    Set XslDocument = Server.CreateObject("Msxml2.DOMDocument.4.0")
    XslDocument.Async = False
    XslDocument.Load(Server.MapPath("test20040402Xsl.xml"))

    XmlDocument.TransformNodeToObject XslDocument, Response
    %>

    The XSLT example is

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    version="1.0">

    <xsl:eek:utput method="html" indent="yes" encoding="UTF-8" />

    <xsl:template match="/">
    <head>
    <title>Riders</title>
    </head>
    <xsl:apply-templates select="riders" />
    </xsl:template>

    <xsl:template match="riders">
    <ol><xsl:apply-templates select="rider" /></ol>
    </xsl:template>

    <xsl:template match="rider">
    <li><xsl:value-of select="." /></li>
    </xsl:template>