Generate code documentation xml for ASP.NET 2.0 website

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Carl Johansen, Feb 17, 2006.

  1. Hi all,

    I have an ASP.NET 2.0 website in Visual Studio 2005 (ie I open it with File
    | Open Web Site...). I have put XML comments in the source code in the
    App_Code directory (with <summary> tags, etc) and I want to turn these into
    XML files that can then be run through NDoc (along with app_code.dll) to
    produce help files. I've even found an (apparently stable) port of NDoc for
    v2.0 of the framework. So no problem, I'll just go to Project Properties |
    Compile and check the "Generate XML documentation file" box... uh-oh... this
    isn't a project, so there _is_ no Project Properties dialog. Hmmm, maybe
    "aspnet_compiler" has the /doc option... Nope. Wait, I know: I'll add
    "/doc+" to the vbc.rsp file so that it becomes a default compiler option...
    No dice; VS and aspnet_compiler use the /noconfig option, so they ignore the
    defaults. Now what? Does this mean I can't put things in App_Code if I want
    to document them?

    If that's too easy for you, then how about the same question for code-behind
    files? This one was easy in Visual Studio 2003, because these were built
    into one big /bin assembly. But in VS 2005 there seem to be two issues: (1)
    no Project Properties, so no way to set the "generate XML documentation
    file" option, and (2) no obvious assembly containing the code-behind code
    that I can give to NDoc.

    Thanks very much in advance for any ideas you'd care to share.
    Carl Johansen - a blog free zone
    Carl Johansen, Feb 17, 2006

  2. carlj

    carlj Guest

    To answer my own question (for VB App_Code directories): I found a
    kludgy workaround. I added a <compilers> section to my web.config (by
    copying what was in my default machine.config). In it I added a
    <compilerOptions> element with "/doc+" as an option. This means that
    when I build the site using VS or aspnet_compiler, a file called
    App_Code.xml is placed in the same random directory under
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files
    as App_Code.dll. If you are using aspnet_compiler with an explicit
    target directory, you will find that App_Code.dll gets copied to the
    target directory but App_Code.xml doesn't. I wrote a post-build script
    to search in Temporary ASP.NET Files and copy the latest version of
    App_Code.xml (since the exact location sometimes varies from build to

    I suspect that this trick would not work with a C# site, because in C#
    you don't have the "/doc+" option; you have to specify a filename for
    the xml doc file. Since the VS/aspnet_compiler build processes consist
    of multiple invocations of the compiler, only the last invocation's xml
    file would be available.

    Carl - a blog free zone
    carlj, Feb 26, 2006

  3. gornhorse

    Nov 10, 2008
    Can't generate the xml documentation

    In response to your suggested solution with which to get the generation of xml documentation using vb in visual studio 2005, i inserted the following into my web.config:

    Code (Text):
          <compiler language="vb;vbs;visualbasic;_vbscript" extension=".vb" type="Microsoft.VisualBasic.VBCodeProvider, System, Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" compilerOptions="/doc+"/>
    When i build my app, I still don't get any App_Code.xml file generated. I used a tool i found at your "HOWTO: Generate XML Source Code Comments for Visual Studio 2005 ASP.NET Visual Basic Website App_Code assembly" page which is supposed to search and find the App_Code.xml file and move it to your indicated directory, and it doesn't find anything.
    Is there anything else I need to do?

    I have the comments on my codebefind files - do I need to move these files to the App_Code directory in order to generate the comments?

    I have no idea why I can't generate them, so any help would be great.

    gornhorse, Nov 10, 2008
  4. Deceth

    Jan 15, 2009
    I have a similar problem. I have my XML comments in my code-behind files. How do I generate the XML documentation for these?
    Deceth, Jan 15, 2009