Generate interface from wsdl

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Peter Bradley, Apr 2, 2008.

  1. My apologies first of all for cross posting. In my ignorance I posted
    this in the .net remoting group before checking on the existence of this
    group.

    I have to write an application that will interact with a Web service
    exposed by a partner organisation. Unfortunately the Web service will
    not be available until late summer: too late for us to develop a client.

    Ideally, therefore, I'd like to develop a client from the wsdl, which is
    available. For your information, I've posted to wsdl files on my
    personal Web site:

    http://www.peredur.uklinux.net/slcxsd/HEICourseDBWebService.wsdl
    http://www.peredur.uklinux.net/slcxsd/HEICourseDatabaseMessages.wsdl

    As you will see, the first file imports the second.

    In order to get something to work with, I have tried to construct an
    interface for the Web service using the wsdl.exe utility:

    C:\XmlProjects\SlcDatabaase>wsdl.exe /serverinterface
    heicoursedbwebservice.wsdl

    This fails with the following message:

    Microsoft (R) Web Services Description Language Utility
    [Microsoft (R) .NET Framework, Version 2.0.50727.42]
    Error: Cannot find definition for
    http://www.slc.co.uk/course/messages/1.0:CourseDatabaseServicePortType.
    Service Description with namespace
    http://www.slc.co.uk/course/messages/1.0 is missing.
    Parameter name: name

    Can anyone see where I'm going wrong?

    Many thanks

    Peter Bradley

    Peter Bradley, Apr 2, 2008

  2. "Peter Bradley" <> wrote in message
    > I have to write an application that will interact with a Web service
    > exposed by a partner organisation. Unfortunately the Web service will not
    > be available until late summer: too late for us to develop a client.

    > http://www.peredur.uklinux.net/slcxsd/HEICourseDBWebService.wsdl
    > http://www.peredur.uklinux.net/slcxsd/HEICourseDatabaseMessages.wsdl
    >
    > As you will see, the first file imports the second.

    /HEICourseDatabaseSchema.xsd appears to be missing.

    John Saunders | MVP - Windows Server System - Connected System Developer

    John Saunders [MVP], Apr 2, 2008

  3. John Saunders [MVP] wrote:

    > /HEICourseDatabaseSchema.xsd appears to be missing.

    Apologies. The schema files are all there now.

    They were all present in the same folder when I tried to run wsdl.exe
    against them on my local machine, so their lack is not the reason for
    the failure I was getting.

    Apologies for the incomplete info, and thanks for looking at it.

    Cheers

    Peter

    Peter Bradley, Apr 3, 2008
  4. Re: Generate interface from wsdl [SOLVED]

    John Saunders [MVP] wrote:

    > /HEICourseDatabaseSchema.xsd appears to be missing.

    I realised from this response that if I put all the files up on my Web
    server (.wsdl and .xsd) I could create a Web reference to it in VS and
    let VS do all the work for me.

    This worked fine. The reference.cs file created with the Web reference
    is all I need.

    Thanks for the help.

    Peter

    Peter Bradley, Apr 3, 2008
  5. "Peter Bradley" <> wrote in message
    > John Saunders [MVP] wrote:
    >>
    >> /HEICourseDatabaseSchema.xsd appears to be missing.
    >>

    > Apologies. The schema files are all there now.
    >
    > They were all present in the same folder when I tried to run wsdl.exe
    > against them on my local machine, so their lack is not the reason for the
    > failure I was getting.
    >
    > Apologies for the incomplete info, and thanks for looking at it.
    >
    > Cheers
    >

    > Peter

    I just got this to work using WSDL /serverInterface and by specifying the
    URL on the command line. Try it with the URL instead of with a file path.
    John Saunders | MVP - Windows Server System - Connected System Developer

    John Saunders [MVP], Apr 3, 2008