generate thumbnail on the fly

Øyvind Isaksen

Hello!

Does anyone know about an ASP.NET thumbnail script that generate thumbnail
with MAX quality?
Have tested some scripts, but the thumbnail is not getting as good quality
as I need.

This is the best result I have got so far:
Original picture: http://www.kromogkubikk.no/custom/artimgs/bakgard.jpg
Thumb, 128px:
http://www.kromogkubikk.no/custom/image.aspx?filename=/custom/artimgs/bakgard.jpg&width=128

Hope someone can help me with a thumbnail script with superb quality, and
hopefully with animated gif support also?

Thanks :)

Erik Funkenbusch

Hello!

Does anyone know about an ASP.NET thumbnail script that generate thumbnail
with MAX quality?

You have to understand that when you reduce the size of the image, you
reduce the number of pixels that show detail, thus the level of detail is
severely diminished. Frankly, the thumbnail you're showing looks pretty
darn good to me.

Jason Kester

I've noticed the same thing recently. The Image library in .NET is
just not very good at reducing and enlarging images. The calculations
it does when resizing images are too simplistic to get the sort of
results you would see from Photoshop. By the time you get to saving
the resulting thumbnail, the quailty is already lost, so even with 100%
jpeg quality it will still look that bad.

If you need something better, you'll have to find a third party
library.

Jason Kester
Expat Software Consulting Services
http://www.expatsoftware.com/

Guest

I'm searching for the code to do this; can I have it from you?
I need to get thumbnails on the fly for PDF files, do you have a solution
for this?