    starting up a windows instance somehow (^_^)

    Thanks and best wishes,

    Daniel

    Daniel Parry, May 19, 2009

  2. Daniel Parry

    ccc31807 Guest

    ccc31807, May 19, 2009

  3. Daniel Parry

    smallpond Guest

    On May 19, 11:23 am, Daniel Parry <> wrote:
    > I'd like to generate word and power point files on a linux based
    > system. Populated with various random words from a dictionary to
    > create various different size files. I have this working for:
    > Excel, HTML, JSON, ODT, PDF, RTF, Text, and XML format but stumped
    > a bit for doc and ppt. Any one have any suggestions for hacks that
    > might make these last two formats possible, which don't include
    > starting up a windows instance somehow (^_^)
    >
    > Thanks and best wishes,
    >
    > Daniel

    Please post a spec for those formats.

    smallpond, May 19, 2009
  4. Daniel Parry

    Ben Bullock Guest

    On Tue, 19 May 2009 15:23:36 +0000, Daniel Parry wrote:

    > I'd like to generate word and power point files on a linux based system.
    > Populated with various random words from a dictionary to create various
    > different size files. I have this working for: Excel, HTML, JSON, ODT,
    > PDF, RTF, Text, and XML format but stumped a bit for doc and ppt. Any
    > one have any suggestions for hacks that might make these last two
    > formats possible, which don't include starting up a windows instance
    > somehow (^_^)

    On Linux you could create your file in HTML or some other format and then
    have OpenOffice.org save it in Microsoft Word's .doc or .ppt formats.

    I don't know how to automate OpenOffice.org but I imagine it's possible.

    Ben Bullock, May 20, 2009
  5. Daniel Parry

    Daniel Parry Guest

    On 2009-05-19, smallpond <> wrote:
    > Please post a spec for those formats.

    In essence, I'm after formats suitable for testing the text
    extraction capabilities of the java JCR jackrabbit system. I
    believe jackrabbit is moving towards using apache tika, so the
    formats are likely those listed here:

    http://lucene.apache.org/tika/formats.html

    Though I am particularly interested in word and power point docs,
    which likely means the OLE2 Compound Document format?

    Best wishes,

    Daniel

    Daniel Parry, May 20, 2009
  6. Daniel Parry

    Ben Bullock Guest

    On Tue, 19 May 2009 10:41:46 -0700, smallpond wrote:

    > On May 19, 11:23 am, Daniel Parry <> wrote:
    >> I'd like to generate word and power point files on a linux based
    >> system. Populated with various random words from a dictionary to create
    >> various different size files. I have this working for: Excel, HTML,
    >> JSON, ODT, PDF, RTF, Text, and XML format but stumped a bit for doc and
    >> ppt. Any one have any suggestions for hacks that might make these last
    >> two formats possible, which don't include starting up a windows
    >> instance somehow (^_^)

    > Please post a spec for those formats.

    The specs for the Office formats can be found at

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc313118.aspx

    Ben Bullock, May 20, 2009