Generate X.509 Certificates

J. M.

Hi,

I would like to do something using Java and I don't know if it can be
done or not. I am hoping someone here can tell me. If it cannot be
done, then ok... but if it can be done, I need help on how to do it.

I want to create a program that will take in a "local name" and a
"public key" and using them it will generate a public key certificate
of the type X.509.

I don't care if the names repeat or not, if several clients are called
"Bob" I don't care. All I want is for my program to receive a local
name and a public key, create a certificate with these two and then
sign the certificate using its (the program's) private key and then
return the X.509 certificate to the client.

Can this be done?

Thanks

J. M.

I find it weird that something like this cannot be done in Java.

Oh well, I'll have to find something better to do with my time.

Thanks anyway.

Roedy Green

I find it weird that something like this cannot be done in Java.

What you mean to say if you find it weird that somebody has not
already written a class to do what you want in Java and provided it
free.

There is obviously no impediment in the language to doing such a task.

Others may find it equally odd what you are trying to do. Why are you
the first one who needed this? Others somehow managed without doing
that.