    it (one way for IE and one way for Mozilla, who knows how many others),
    anybody want to share?
    , Feb 2, 2005

  2. Paul R Guest

    wrote:
    > I have an XMLDocument that my web page downloads and manipulates as a
    > response to user input. I have lots of JavaScript that acts as a
    > controller between my view (html) and my model (xml). That works fine.
    >
    > Once the user's done editing, I want to send the modified XMLDocument
    > back up to my server (as XML). The problem is, I can't find a way to
    > use JavaScript to generate XML from an XMLDocument. Is there some
    > obvious API that I'm missing? I assume there's more than one way to do
    > it (one way for IE and one way for Mozilla, who knows how many others),
    > anybody want to share?

    You could send the XML file direct using an XMLHttpRequest object
    (Mozilla and IE, although they may differ a little).

    Alternatively, write the XML text to a hidden (HTML) field using the
    [DOMDocument].xml property (IE) or an XMLSerializer object (Mozilla).
    Paul R, Feb 3, 2005

  3. wrote:

    > I have an XMLDocument that my web page downloads and manipulates as a
    > response to user input. I have lots of JavaScript that acts as a
    > controller between my view (html) and my model (xml). That works fine.
    >
    > Once the user's done editing, I want to send the modified XMLDocument
    > back up to my server (as XML). The problem is, I can't find a way to
    > use JavaScript to generate XML from an XMLDocument. Is there some
    > obvious API that I'm missing?

    I think so, XMLHttpRequest in Mozilla browsers (Mozilla suite, Firefox,
    Netscape 6/7), in latest Safari and Konqueror, and Microsoft.XMLHTTP in
    IE 5/5.5/6 on Windows simply lets you pass in your XML document as a
    parameter to the send method e.g.
    var httpRequest;
    if (typeof XMLHttpRequest != 'undefined') {
    httpRequest = new XMLHttpRequest();
    }
    else if (typeof ActiveXObject != 'undefined') {
    httpRequest = new ActiveXObject('Microsoft.XMLHTTP');
    }
    if (httpRequest) {
    httpRequest.open('POST', 'XMLLoader.asp', true);
    httpRequest.onreadystatechange = function (evt) {
    if (httpRequest.readyState == 4) {
    if (httpRequest.status == 200) {
    // process response here e.g.
    // process httpRequest.responseXML
    }
    else .... handle other response status if needed
    }
    };
    httpRequest.send(xmlDocument);
    }

    See
    <http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/view.phtml/aid/17226/fid/616>
    for details.

    If you need to serialize an XML document to a string (that is not needed
    for the above, XMLHttpRequest's send method simply needs the document
    object) then with MSXML there is the property named xml for DOM nodes thus
    var xmlString = xmlDocument.xml;
    gives you the serialized XML as a string, with Mozilla you have
    XMLSerializer e.g.
    var xmlString = new XMLSerializer().serializeToString(xmlDocument);

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
    Martin Honnen, Feb 3, 2005